• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just received 2005 P Mint Set - look at this nickel!

6 posts in this topic

At 5:00 AM I opened one of the new Mint sets that came yesterday. Something not quite right about this new P Jefferson Buffalo nickel. At first I thought maybe it was the lighting. So I tilted it this way and that way. Nope, not the lighting. So I compared it with the other two sets I received. Nope, not there. So I showed it to the wife and she spotted right away, and believe me, she has no interest in coins. On the obverse, starting on the top of the head behind the eyes and extending down below the check line, and going over the rim, it's a very pleasing copper/goldish color. And it's not ON the coin, it's IN the coin. The coin itself is cameo. There is nothing on the reverse.

839398-ttt.jpg.4d3c1e62726e80352d92daa4b8264379.jpg

The manner of toning sounds very similar the the '94 and '97 commemorative sets which toned their respective matte nickels in a similar manner. However, this is explained by the packaging which, over time, toned c. half of the Jeffersons in a similar manner as you described. My guess is that this coin rested on a somewhat reactive surface prior to packaging. Or, based upon your observation, the coin's actually alloy wasn't mixed properly and you are seeing an area with a greater ratio of copper to nickel. Or not? confused-smiley-013.gif