• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1856 and 1858 Flying Eagle cents

19 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! I'm having trouble understanding where to begin the process on how to sell 2 coins my dad gave me to help out with my wedding expenses. From what I understand the coins I have are a 1856 and 1858 Flying Eagle cents. I never even knew grading was a thing, so if someone could help me understand where to begin the process of selling this coin I would be really grateful. Thanks yall!

20220910_200721.jpg

20220910_200726.jpg

Below are comparison photos of your items and authentic coins from a recent Heritage auction. I have rotated and scaled them so they present similar views.

Image1.thumb.jpg.68f15fab2a1eeb65910678f9460e2f1c.jpg

Image2.thumb.jpg.ec59cab787c6747f0fc1387a80520578.jpg

Your 1856 item has poor or missing detail and incorrect digit form and size. Denticles at the rim are incomplete and overall it is a sloppily made counterfeit. Could be from China or possibly the Colorado Counterfeiter.

Your 1858 item has similar dentical problems as the 1856 fake, with wing tip-to-A angle being incorrect. Date digits are inconsistent with 1858, especially the "1." Upper neck feathers missing; head and eye misshapen. Also counterfeit, possibly from the same criminals as the 1856.

Just a thought, not a sermon. :)

Edited by RWB
corrected spelling

Yes, unfortunately both of these purported Flying Eagle cents, a rare date 1856 and a common date 1858 large letters, are counterfeits that aren't very deceptive to those who know what the genuine ones look like.  The 1856 has several distinctive characteristics, the most familiar that only on the 1856 does the "5" in the date slant to the right.   Another is that the interior of the "O" in "OF" appears somewhat rectangular instead of perfectly oval.  I hope that EmilioV's father didn't pay much for either of these counterfeits, as they have no value.  

Occasionally, genuine pieces do turn up in unexpected ways.  Some years back a member of a coin club to which I belong had inexpensively purchased a miscellaneous group of coins at an estate sale.  One of the pieces was an 1856 Flying Eagle cent, which he knew was frequently faked.  When I examined the coin, I found that it had some surface damage but had the characteristics of a genuine specimen!  NGC subsequently certified the coin with a grade of Fine details, and as I recall it was sold for over $5,000.

Maybe I am just too cynical, but this thread seems like one of those we get every now and then in which the person has some coins that he knows are fake, but thinks he might try to con someone into buying them. So, he goes to a coin chat board, hoping to find some greedy soul who wants to take advantage of a newbie who has a rare coin. He posts some hard to see pictures, makes up some emotion-based story about a deceased relative (or in this case, a wedding), and feigns total ignorance about what he has or how much it is worth. Then he hints, or states outright, that he would be interested in selling them, hoping that someone will think that they can make a quick score at his expense. What these goobers don't seem to realize is that the members of this board actually know a little something about coins. When they point out that the coins are actually fake, the poster beats a hasty retreat, never to return. This particular poster has not logged back in since right after the two responses above were posted. That tells me that he did not get the response he was hoping for, and decided he had better try somewhere else. I have seen this many times on this chat board, and will likely see it many more.

My two cents.

Your "two cents" might be correct. I get one or two phone calls or emails of a similar nature - including from "high end" folks who bought from an auction on speculation. (I always verify such purchase claims,)

On 9/10/2022 at 9:18 PM, RWB said:

Could be from China or possibly the Colorado Counterfeiter.

China, that fake has been around a long time, longer than your Denver nemesis has been.

In addition to the other things the dates just look all wrong right off the bat, especially the 6 on the 1856 one. It's almost cartoon like in size compared to the others.

On 10/18/2022 at 5:35 AM, berlineagle said:

Pigeonman

That coin looks cleaned,but it is a Snow#8 rev.

Yes. Pretty cool coin. 

The reverse die of the cent was clashed with the reverse die of the 1857 quarter. 

Tough coin in higher grades. For some reason many of these are found cleaned. 

You can also find the quarter with the clash marks from the cent die. 

Idhair

You seem interested in S-8's, I have a nice little story for you. Back in the mid 80's I was in my mid 20"s and collected flying eagles and indian head cents.

This is before the internet and there were very few dealers in my town. The one dealer took me under his wing and taught me about coin collecting and what to look for as to cleaning and damaged coins. I told this dealer that I wanted a MS flying eagle cent. A few weeks later he called me and told me he had something to show me. 1857 MS flying eagle, I bought it for 200.00 and that was a lot of money for me at the time. A few years latter my dealer friend had died, and Rick Snow wrote his first book. As I was looking through the book, I saw the part about the clashed cents. I had thought that my 1857 had a strike thru on the reverse, but it was the S-8 clashed die. I sent it in to ANACS and had it graded, it came back as MS-62 in one of the little white holders. Since then I bought a vf-35 S-7 in a little white holder for a little bit more than the S-8, If you know what I mean.

On 9/12/2022 at 11:56 AM, Just Bob said:

Maybe I am just too cynical, but this thread seems like one of those we get every now and then in which the person has some coins that he knows are fake, but thinks he might try to con someone into buying them. So, he goes to a coin chat board, hoping to find some greedy soul who wants to take advantage of a newbie who has a rare coin. He posts some hard to see pictures, makes up some emotion-based story about a deceased relative (or in this case, a wedding), and feigns total ignorance about what he has or how much it is worth. Then he hints, or states outright, that he would be interested in selling them, hoping that someone will think that they can make a quick score at his expense. What these goobers don't seem to realize is that the members of this board actually know a little something about coins. When they point out that the coins are actually fake, the poster beats a hasty retreat, never to return. This particular poster has not logged back in since right after the two responses above were posted. That tells me that he did not get the response he was hoping for, and decided he had better try somewhere else. I have seen this many times on this chat board, and will likely see it many more.

My two cents.

Reckon you're right. I notice how many of them, once called out, give it up. They know from experience that once they're busted out, there's no further point. They don't bother trying to argue that the accusation is incorrect.

Speaking of quick scores, our $900 Bronze Colored Quarter dude is still at it.

Reckon I should post one more time since I just noticed my email's spam folder is full of comments from this post saying weird things, so I thought I should clear things out:

-Dad gave me 2 coins that he thought may have some value, but had not a lot of hope since he found them on the floor at a walmart parking lot. He told me that if they do have any sort of value to keep it since I'm getting married and that would help.

-Opened account on this place after finding out they may, indeed, have a lot of value if real

-Create a post asking for help to identify if they are worth something

-Really trustworthy source from this site (from what I could check on their profile) makes a extremely detailed comparison between real coins and the fake ones I had.

-Didn't expect too much so I just went on with my life and threw the coins in the trash, saddened that my net profit was -$25 from opening an account in a site I'll never use.

-Since I don't even know about coins and I'm not even interested in them I just never come back to the site

And that's all folks. Have a nice day.

On 10/18/2022 at 4:26 AM, pigeonman333rd said:

I invested in this flying eagle.

IMG_0301.JPG

IMG_0303.JPG

@pigeonman333rdThat may be a variety of the 1857 Flying Eagle Cent that has a 25C reverse die clash (Flying Eagle Cents (1856-1858) | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com). The clash doesn't look well defined like it was copied, although that may just be the blurry pics. I would start a new thread with better pics of that if you want more feedback.

1857 Flying Eagle Cent NGC Forum.jpg

1857 Flying Eagle Cent 25C Clash.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

On 10/18/2022 at 6:44 AM, berlineagle said:

Idhair

You seem interested in S-8's, I have a nice little story for you. Back in the mid 80's I was in my mid 20"s and collected flying eagles and indian head cents.

This is before the internet and there were very few dealers in my town. The one dealer took me under his wing and taught me about coin collecting and what to look for as to cleaning and damaged coins. I told this dealer that I wanted a MS flying eagle cent. A few weeks later he called me and told me he had something to show me. 1857 MS flying eagle, I bought it for 200.00 and that was a lot of money for me at the time. A few years latter my dealer friend had died, and Rick Snow wrote his first book. As I was looking through the book, I saw the part about the clashed cents. I had thought that my 1857 had a strike thru on the reverse, but it was the S-8 clashed die. I sent it in to ANACS and had it graded, it came back as MS-62 in one of the little white holders. Since then I bought a vf-35 S-7 in a little white holder for a little bit more than the S-8, If you know what I mean.

Thanks for the info it might be cleaned only submitting it will get the real determination. my camera is bad it doesnt pick up the luster gotta use the nikon I used my phone. It might really be cleaned though. I bought a cleaned unc detail coin for 100.00 on ebay I like the coin but it has no luster. So you say you bought a very fine 35 why did you pay more for it? I bargain hunt but ebay has no ms coins right now. I figure if your going to get an ms coin its best to spend about 5000 and get an ms65. I would look for a deal though about 2500. The best deal I have found is an 1856 flying eagle cent au55 certified by ngc for 10,000. I like the coin but the guy wants cash even though he has a credit card machine he said if your going to use credit the price is 15,000 but I don't know why that is.Do you think 10,000 is a fair price? 

I would like to see other pictures if you can. The details of your coin look to be high AU to UNC. As to you buying an 1856 for 10,000 (that's a whole lot of coin and money) if you do not know coins very well. If you chose to buy something like that, you should contact Rick Snow at Eagle Eye for advice. My vf-35 is a Snow-7 clashed with a twenty-dollar gold piece, much rarer coin. Good luck with your 1857 S-8, I hope it Straight grades for you.