• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade of Morgan Dollar?
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Okay, here is my next grading example to get feedback on.  It's listed as an XF+, which I agree with, but it may be bordering on an AU.  I see almost no wear of the high points at the hair or cotton leaves on the obv, or the eagle's head or breast feathers on the rev.  What do you guys think?

1903-O Morgan Dollar treasuresforever83.jpg

On 8/12/2022 at 5:08 PM, EagleRJO said:

Okay, here is my next grading example to get feedback on.  It's listed as an XF+, which I agree with, but it may be bordering on an AU.  I see almost no wear of the high points at the hair or cotton leaves on the obv, or the eagle's head or breast feathers on the rev.  What do you guys think?

Nice date. To me, it might be details graded for harsh cleaning. But no photograph can possibly tell me that for sure either way. It takes the ability to tilt and swirl the coin under the proper light. Sorry to be so unsure. 

On 8/12/2022 at 5:21 PM, Coinbuf said:

Cleaned and retoned.

Makes me feel more secure in my thoughts. 

This coin is definitely a counterfeit!  On the obverse, note the misshapen numbers in the date and the fat misshapen stars. The reverse is based on the "C3" reverse hub as identified in the VAM book, which wasn't used after 1901. Note the narrow space between eagle's neck and wing, when compared with the larger, rounded gap of the "C4" reverse hub used on all coins dated 1903. DON'T BUY IT!

On 8/12/2022 at 6:28 PM, Sandon said:

DON'T BUY IT!

Thanks, I do see that now with the numbers and gap on the rev. I was just looking at the grade to follow the price and didn't look that close at the other things.

Here is the example AU50 from CoinFacts which I really need to get in the habit of always checking even if I am just looking at the grade to track a sale price.

42539746_216282836_2200.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

If it were genuine, I'd say somewhere in the XF range, partly because it has no luster as you'd expect on an AU and as the PCGS photo shows. However, this fake probably never had any luster or any additional design detail and may be "as struck" (or "as cast".)  It's not an appropriate piece from which to learn grading.

Thanks Sandon, I was really just kidding to close out the thread.

I will not be tracking the sale price for obvious reasons, but the feedback is appreciated none the less. 

Edited by EagleRJO

I suspect that this coin is also a fake, though not because of the shape or position of the mint mark.  The mint mark is a match to that shown for die variety VAM 3 (O Set Right, Tilted Left). However, other details of the reverse, such as the eagle's breast feathers and the shape of the gap between the eagle's neck and right wing don't seem to match the genuine article.  The oddly prooflike surfaces are also peculiar, though some genuine prooflike (rare) and semi-prooflike 1903-Os do exist. The coin is also oddly devoid of the usual bag marks.  This could be one of the newer, more deceptive Chinese counterfeits!

On 8/13/2022 at 3:38 AM, EagleRJO said:

I just wonder from where you got these ones. I don't know why I can't find them. I like to collect old coins and that is why I always search for them online which isn't in my collection. I want to know whether I can get caught by my teacher for using Edubirdie and found my answer over https://edubirdie.org/can-you-get-caught-using-edubirdie/ here. When I was searching for that website on google search, I found your post as well.

I just wonder from where you got these ones. I don't know why I can't find them.

Edited by RobertDion