• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1921 S Morgan Silver Dollar Zerbe Strike

3 posts in this topic

I have a 1921 S Morgan Silver Dollar in very fine condition, examining it under microscopic conditions, I believe it to be a Zerbe special strike due to square edges, the letters “E” and “S” with the diagnose lines and the “C” as well is different as well as the stars . It seems to be. Of course, I’m not the grader. How do I submit ? 

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

NGC does not recognize any special strikes of the 1921-S dollar, so it would treated as an ordinary coin.

I hope that no one at NGC takes offense, but it appears that PCGS does certify 1921-S "Zerbe Special Strikes" as "Specimens", as an upcoming Stacks Bowers auction is offering one graded "Specimen 65". (It's lot 7111 in the "Rarities Night" session scheduled for August 25.) These so-called "proofs" or "special strikes" are controversial, so it's understandable that grading services differ on how to classify them.