• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$5 Indian Half Eagle & $20 Saint-Gauden Double Eagle Prices
1 1

163 posts in this topic

I am in no rush and will see where things go from here. In the meantime, I already have the 2021 and 2022 1-oz gold coins from the US Mint ordered when spot prices were pretty low.  I think they actually did an amazing job of reproducing the Saint obverse and improved the strike quality. I have posted the attached pics in another thread, but they just don't do these coins justice like having them in your hand to look at.

2021 1-Oz American Gold Eagle Coin BU.jpg

2022 1-Oz American Gold Eagle Coin BU.jpg

On 8/29/2022 at 10:31 PM, EagleRJO said:

I am in no rush and will see where things go from here. In the meantime, I already have the 2021 and 2022 1-oz gold coins from the US Mint ordered when spot prices were pretty low.  I think they actually did an amazing job of reproducing the Saint obverse and improved the strike quality. I have posted the attached pics in another thread, but they just don't do these coins justice like having them in your hand to look at.

Beautiful coins, enjoy.

There's something to be said for the moderns, but the reverse of a Saint-Gaudens with the eagles' wings double-imposed with a side view is breathtaking to me.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 12/13/2022 at 10:13 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I see lots of gold coins on NGC going without bids; buyers aren't just paying up.  They will let the coins come in to them.

On NGC?  Maybe you meant GC?  And I haven't been following anything other than half eagles periodically, and I am really more interested in raw half eagles anyway.  Are people setting too high a minimum?

1914 $5 Indian Gold Half Eagle Coin BU $851JMB.jpg

On 12/15/2022 at 12:38 AM, EagleRJO said:

On NGC?  Maybe you meant GC?  And I haven't been following anything other than half eagles periodically, and I am really more interested in raw half eagles anyway.  Are people setting too high a minimum?

First, yes....GC. :)

Second, it's not as bad as Ebay with as many coins or the amount that is too high...but yes, the non-bids are out there.  And since GC has a pretty savvy clientele, I am kind of surprised folks are high.

For instance, I see Superb Gem MS-67 1924 Saints asking $17,000 which is what much rarer 1927's and 1928's command.  For a 1924 MS-67 Saint, you probably need to be closer to $12,000.  Also see 1908 No-Motto WF MS-66 OGH's asking ~ $3,700 when it has to be $3,200 and under.  That's about 20% too high.  Any Saint buyer spending that amount of money is going to know the market and not be that high except for a unique, special coin.  These are all pretty ordinary, not even CACs.

For other than gold coins I have also noticed quite a number of reserves set above current values, and I just move on to the next one.  They typically don't sell, and the seller is then just left with the fees for listing the coin for auction.

On 12/15/2022 at 1:08 PM, EagleRJO said:

For other than gold coins I have also noticed quite a number of reserves set above current values, and I just move on to the next one.  They typically don't sell, and the seller is then just left with the fees for listing the coin for auction.

The amount they are high is much worse on Ebay and especially with lower-priced coins.  You're more likely to get $600 for a $350 coin if there aren't many like it than you are to get the same price on GC let alone HA or SB.  Ditto higher-priced gold coins.

I did notice that unique stuff like modern commemoratives, 5-ounce silvers, etc....got bid up higher by the at-home Covid Crowd and especially if there were unique labels on them.   NGC had some nifty ones at that time. (thumbsu

On 12/15/2022 at 2:42 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

The amount they are high is much worse on Ebay ...

I noticed that the reserves and list prices on eBay have become ridiculous, and I have completely abandoned looking for coins on eBay, at least for now.

On 12/15/2022 at 2:55 PM, EagleRJO said:

I noticed that the reserves and list prices on eBay have become ridiculous, and I have completely abandoned looking for coins on eBay, at least for now.

Does it cost anything to list at that price if no sale happens ?  If not, you can just keep it there for months or years and wait for the market to move towards you or pray for that One Dumb Buyer. xD

The 1910 is one of those coins I call a "tweener" -- it isn't super-rare but it's not common enough to survive in quantity enough to satiate Registry and Type collectors and move down to the Investor class (~30,000 or so).  RWB estimates about 16,000 survivors.

Nice coins !  (thumbsu