• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1923 "S" Mint Peace Dollar

14 posts in this topic

Hi! Found this coin in drawer while cleaning out parents house. Has been sitting in box for about 20+yrs.... Any realistic range for estimate would be greatly appreciated. Tried to include photos as best I could. 

20220715_133050.jpg

20220715_133226.jpg

20220716_034018.jpg

20220716_034104.jpg

20220716_034329.jpg

20220716_034413.jpg

20220716_034623.jpg

Bag-marked AU. Common date/mint. Worth possibly a little over melt - if you can find a buyer.

I'll add my comments as no one has given you a value, and you appear to have little or no knowledge about coins.  Currently dealers sell any U.S. silver dollar that isn't worn slick or damaged for $30 or more, and there is unreasonably high demand for them.  It's hard to evaluate your 1923-S Peace Dollar without actually seeing it, but it would likely retail for $35-$60 or so depending on whether it is About Uncirculated (AU) or actually a lower end, weakly struck Brilliant Uncirculated (BU) and hasn't been damaged by the polyvinyl chloride that may have leached from the vinyl flip it's been improperly stored in.  (I see a greenish tinge suggesting that this has occurred.)  I would think an honest dealer would pay at least $25 for it in any case.  The "melt" value for the 0.77344 oz of silver in the coin is currently in the $14-$15 range and changes daily.

I'm sure your grandparents paid much less in nominal dollars for this coin, depending on when they bought it, unless it was in 1979-80 when silver briefly went up to as much as $50 per oz.  They could be obtained from banks at face value as late as 1964, and uncirculated ones sold for under $10 until the late 1970s.  Any toys they would have bought you instead would be long gone now.  

That is a nice coin, the NGC explorer page that I linked in your other thread is a great resource for information on coins like this.   Unfortunately, unlike your Morgan dollar the seller was rather optimistic with a BU grade as this coin has seen some light circulation or improper handling and would not grade higher than mid AU.   Still a nice collectable coin for collectors that enjoy filling albums, just not the type of coin that will put much into the bank account.

Thank you so much for thr honest replies! I have no idea no idea what my grandparents paid, but it feels like I'm doing a disservice to their name to assume that they gave us a few coins with the intention of said coins to be a symbol of false hope. Seeing how I honestly don't have any real general knowledge to lean one way or the other, I'm left feeling a bit lost unfortunately on what to think. With that said, I not only appreciate your feedback but I genuinely thank you both for also giving me a bit more direction/guidance. :-) 

They gave you kids the coins as representing something unusual, or a gift that might be cherished for the sentiment accompanying them. It's very unlikely anyone thought of some sort of immense future value. A suggestion is to buy a little plastic holder for each, then write a short description of where the coin came from and who received it.

[My great grandparents’ farmhouse was assembled from hand hewn beams using timber joinery and wooden pegs – no nails or other metal. When the house was torn down my mother saved a basket of the pegs. She wrote a short message about how the pegs were used and who lived and died in the house, and packaged the story and peg. She addressed each story to a family member and signed them. Everyone in the family received one set. They are among the most enjoyed family remembrances.]

Edited by RWB

On 7/16/2022 at 8:35 AM, TinySteiny said:

I tried to tell my grandparents growing up that toys were better gifts!

How many of the toys you got as a kid and played with/abused/ broke are worth $35 today?  And also have the sentimental value of having come from you grandparent.

On 7/19/2022 at 10:07 AM, Conder101 said:

How many of the toys you got as a kid and played with/abused/ broke are worth $35 today?  And also have the sentimental value of having come from you grandparent.

A few “red wheel” Hot Wheels cars might be, but I don’t follow the market. What are Lesney, England Matchbox cars going for?

Edited by VKurtB

On 7/19/2022 at 12:32 PM, VKurtB said:

A few “red wheel” Hot Wheels cars might be, but I don’t follow the market. What are Lesney, England Matchbox cars going for?

I’d kinda like to know that too. These are all Lesney England 

DD7AC7CD-D871-4246-9E10-2702560481AD.jpeg

A4A437F1-0A5B-4863-A1F6-383AA0CB298E.jpeg

57AD7B11-D682-4487-87C7-682CE9A46346.jpeg

C0C7F070-2431-44F7-9F0B-31274C461F8E.jpeg

ABC0BCA7-FC80-4651-8E3E-D71E5E563A31.jpeg