• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How long does it take for slabbed coins to show up in the census listings?
2 2

10 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

There may not yet be a coin number for that issue. If it's something not certified by NGC previously then someone has to make a corresponding number. This goes fairly quickly for US coins, but world issues, especially varieties, will take longer.

On 6/30/2022 at 7:42 PM, DWLange said:

There may not yet be a coin number for that issue. If it's something not certified by NGC previously then someone has to make a corresponding number. This goes fairly quickly for US coins, but world issues, especially varieties, will take longer.

What do you mean by a "coin number"? My coin is the worldwide discovery piece.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The Census is dependent on internal numbers that identify a particular coin by country, denomination, date, mint, etc.

On 6/30/2022 at 7:47 PM, DWLange said:

The Census is dependent on internal numbers that identify a particular coin by country, denomination, date, mint, etc.

Ok, I get it. Would be funny though if Dariusz Jasek's volume two of his award-winning Netherlands Gold Ducats bible comes out with my coin as the plate coin, but no mention in the census even though it's identified as certified by NGC. Thanks for the info.

I have a Spanish colonial quarter real attributed to Colombia as Restrepo 2.1, not dated but believed to be struck from or between 1756-1796.  It's an entry in the census meaning the coin exists in the DB with others listed but just not mine.

It's in an old holder and I bought it sometime around 2008.

I've seen it on occasion in the past too.  I presume it happens because there is/was no automated entry and someone didn't add it manually.

Edited by World Colonial

This only confirms for me what a member related to me in a fit of exasperation and resignation: I had no inkling of what the Census (or Population, elsewhere) really meant as a practical matter. I ruminated over that a long time and finally experienced my Eureka moment.  I should like to add that @DWLange is not only correct, but instinctively so.  When I joined as a member, there was some lag in reporting these numbers, particularly for foreign issues. Then the Covid-19 pandemic struck (with the latest Omicron sub-variant posing a new threat and challenge to turn-around times and routine administrative tasks and recored-keeping.  I'll bet your coin looks mighty fine in NGC's distinctive, signature white holder! 

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Die polishing; typo