• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1795 Washington coin ( london)
2 2

12 posts in this topic

It is called a grate button I believe. I think to be genuine it should have diagonal lines on the edge. Maybe someone can verify this. If genuine, it would be worth sending in for grading.

Edited by Greenstang

Yours is a fake - probably of recent Chinese manufacture. They are available for $1.68 US plus shipping.

That is sad, too. I hate that the Chinese have started faking Conder tokens. Those people have absolutely no scruples. They do not care how their actions affect other people, as long as they get what they want. That is what happens when you have an entire race or country of people with no moral compass. It is quickly spreading across America, as well. That is even sadder.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Yes, it is a modern replica (polite term for counterfeit).

No reason to be "polite" when referring to counterfeits and counterfeiters. They are common, low-life criminals. (In China what they do is legal, but in Colorado it is criminal yet condoned by ANA.)

Edited by RWB

On 6/20/2022 at 10:04 AM, Just Bob said:

.... I hate that the Chinese have started faking Conder tokens. Those people have absolutely no scruples. They do not care how their actions affect other people, as long as they get what they want. That is what happens when you have an entire race or country of people with no moral compass....

But is it state-sanctioned or the activity of unlicensed vendors?  There are billions of people in China speaking thousands of dialects spread over a wide area. 

I believe somewhere in Beijing, there is an apparatchik upset, not that counterfeiting is occurring, but that its operation is surreptitious and his Bureau is not directly profiting thereby. 

In China, Vietnam and a few other choice spots, the production of copies of non-local coins, medals or almost anything else is entirely legal and an open business. The problem is on the receiving end where most countries subscribe to international copyright and patent agreements. That only causes problems for the manufactures of counterfeit goods if the rights owners (or their legal system) presses action, or the offending country (like China) perceives some advantage to suppressing (i.e. executing) the counterfeiters.

No one in China is hiding the work.

On 6/20/2022 at 12:50 PM, RWB said:

No reason to be "polite" when referring to counterfeits and counterfeiters. They are common, low-life criminals. (In China what they do is legal, but in Colorado it is criminal yet condoned by ANA.)

Yes, another bald faced opinion stated as fact, brought to you by, well, the guy that ALWAYS seems to do that. You lost about Dan, Roger. Put on your big boy pants and suck it up, buttercup. 

[I am going to stick with my assessment of "unconditional immunity" unless someone provides substantive proof suggesting otherwise. Man I love this place!] 🐓 

On 6/21/2022 at 7:20 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

But is it state-sanctioned or the activity of unlicensed vendors?

Depends on what you mean by "sanctioned".  If  you mean with the official approval of the government, probably not.  If you mean the government not taking any steps to put an end to it and just turning a blind eye to it, then yes.