• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Isle of Man, Matthew Boulton, and misc. ramblings

4 posts in this topic

I was just re-reading a bit about the Isle of Man’s earlier coinage along with bits about William Wood, Matthew Boulton and about the coins struck at the Castle Rushen (Not by Wood or Boulton). All interesteing reading. 
  I thought I’d mention the recent articles on Matthew Boulton, for you Soho fans, that have appeared recently in Coin News. The March edition discussed Boulton and Droz’s working relationship and the legal wrangling following their falling out. The May edition discusses Boulton’s coining press and the June edition will discuss the blanking press. Interesting to read while at the same time reading Roger’s book From Mine to Mint.
  Since I am talking about the Isle of Man - I found an old coin of the year website which list their choices for the coin of the year. Their pick for 1733 is the Isle of Man’s Sans Changer.

"Sans Changer" (Without Change) is the motto of the Earls of Derby.

These coins (penny and half penny) were minted to recognize James Stanley (10th Earl of Derby) who bore the title "Lord of Mann”. The eagle and baby (Oskatel Lathum) was taken from the Lathum coat of arms, when one of the first Earls of Derby married Isabelle Lathum. The motto on the reverse is translated 'whichever way you throw me, I will stand'.

The coin is also commonly referred to by many as “short of change”.

The gentleman (image below) is the 10th Earl of Derby. The silver medals (proofs), coppers and bronzes are very collectible. Penny and half penny.

13D14C35-DCAA-443B-850F-990777D478B2.jpeg

5FD9E390-0E3D-46B7-B606-FA776A4C1064.jpeg

CE995397-3AA1-4604-A8D6-48B28EBF8E95.jpeg

F494EB23-8167-4619-B5EE-D570343E12FA.jpeg

Edited by Zebo
Added photo

Thank you! A Nice diversion from parking lot doubled dies and "mint errors."

The falcon is supposed to be protecting the baby, but it really seems to be preparing to make a meal of the kid.

James Stanley, 10th Earl of Derby, 6th Baron Strange. (1664–1736) "Derby" is pronounced "Dah-r beh" the 'r' is soft.

The obverse French inscription "Sans Changer" is commonly translated as "without changing," but in context it can also mean "eternal."

"Quocunque Jeceris Stabit" is usually translated from Latin as “Wherever you throw it, it shall stand." It’s meaning is less literal: “Wherever thrown [ I ] will land upon [my] feet.”

Edited by RWB

You are welcome. A little change of pace is good. And the island is definitatly a different place as are their coins. 

Edited by Zebo
Typo