• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pay It Forward And Create A Collector........
1 1

39 posts in this topic

My youngest son owned a bar/restaurant in downtown Seattle, and I went to visit for a week. It rained several times every day I was there. Everyone carried a light raincoat just in case. Mildew thrived all around his home. Four years later he bought 12 acres and a home 15 miles east of San Diego. What a contrast! It barely rains at all there. He'd never watered plants, shrubs, and other landscape items before. Lol. Coinbuf, it doesn't get 120 degrees here in N Texas, but the100's are humid as heck. Since I live close to DFW airport, it seems I'm the chosen one for family and friends to park their cars at my house, and I take them to the airport and pick them back up on arrival a few weeks later. In the summer, it's always the same statement from everyone when we walk outside of the terminal to the parking garage. "OMG!" Ninety two degrees in darkness at 230 am with not a whisp of breeze is unexpected and shocking, and we're all dripping wet when we finally get in the car. Boots and jeans at work and horsing, but shorts and sandals when I can. I love it though, anything below 40 degrees and my natural smile disappears. ---- I got carried away about weather, and forgot to mention that we have a book sharing shed in our small town, take one leave one, across the street from the public library of all places. I'm going to leave some numismatic books in it, and leave some penny, nickel and dime albums to the side of them. Thanks for the ideas.

Edited by ronnie stein
edit

On 4/13/2022 at 7:25 AM, ronnie stein said:

My youngest son owned a bar/restaurant in downtown Seattle, and I went to visit for a week. It rained several times every day I was there. Everyone carried a light raincoat just in case. Mildew thrived all around his home.

Seattle had more rain when I was going to college there, and in the next eleven years. Where was the bar? I might have heard about it. I worked downtown for some years, which sucked as a commute from what became Shoreline while I was there.

I always had to watch out for mildew in my crappy little apartments. Here in Portland's western burbs, I run a dehumidifier, but this second stint on the wet side has been less wet and more hot than I ever saw in Seattle/Shoreline. I remember the highest temp I ever saw in Seattle was 93 (and you'd think people were dying a foul death from it). High in Kennewick was 112. I never imagined we'd see either 114 or 0% humidity in Portland, but I have seen both for short periods in the last three years here. This is a good place to start an HVAC business, because when the temps do go wild, a bunch of stuff goes out and people start calling around asking who they have to blow to get a tech out there today. 

On 4/11/2022 at 9:19 PM, Coinbuf said:

Ahh yes our dust devils, like mini tornados of a sort.   Those are nothing compared to the Haboos we get during the monsoon season, here is a photo that was taken a few years ago as a large Haboo moved into the Phoenix area, massive dust storms that cut visibility to just a few feet sometimes.

haboo.webp

Geez, ‘buf, no wonder your ANACS soap bars don’t tone much. All your humidity comes from scorpion flatulence. 

On 4/13/2022 at 2:24 PM, VKurtB said:

Geez, ‘buf, no wonder your ANACS soap bars don’t tone much. All your humidity comes from scorpion flatulence. 

Very close lol nasty little buggers those scorpions are.

On 4/17/2022 at 2:45 AM, Tony Follis said:

We don't have any book sharing program in Oak Hill, OH.

Make one.

On 4/17/2022 at 3:58 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

@tj96 and @Mr.Bill347, I love this.  Such a great idea.  We have a Little Free Library in our neighborhood.  I am going to ask some of the guys at my coin club if they have any extra folders laying around (I know they do).  Thanks for the idea.

Yes, excellent idea!  

You know what else you could do?  :idea:  Take one of those folders with a few cents in it and go to any library.  Find the coin book section and just stick it on the shelf with the other coin books.  Just make sure you put it on a lower shelf, so some kid can find it.   Put a note with it, like we did........just don't sign it!  :roflmao:

Remember, don't let anyone see you. :ph34r:  :devil:  Bring the folder in under your jacket or shirt.  :whistle:  The Library management might not appreciate you doing  that.   :fear:

Edited by tj96