• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lincoln Wheat Penny
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Hi there I have 2 Lincoln Wheat pennies I want to send in for certification but not sure if it would be worth it.. I’ve been collecting for 7 years now but I just recently started getting my coins certified. So I’ll put up some pictures to see what y’all think.. Any advice would be nice.. Thank you..729E94BD-270B-4C7B-93FB-586AC9AB31F9.thumb.jpeg.77aec761f0d8e439d3f4310a77f0a4af.jpeg729E94BD-270B-4C7B-93FB-586AC9AB31F9.thumb.jpeg.77aec761f0d8e439d3f4310a77f0a4af.jpeg210A31AB-E31B-40E3-8700-74A37DAC3020.thumb.jpeg.2bdf21f6fe591c8e95d10c70d454b008.jpeg880948AC-98FC-4F5E-B0D4-9C77DB29780F.thumb.jpeg.f1eb2c8076989300d3f8753fcacd3414.jpeg

I'm sorry to say that your photos are not good enough to answer your question on the 1955-S, photos taken with the coin inside a 2X2 make it impossible to really see the surfaces and luster.   I can tell you that the 1955-S is one of, if not the easiest, date in the 50's to find really great high grade examples, that is both good but also bad.   It is bad because there are already a ton of high grade 1955-S coins already graded, so unless you have a coin that could reach the extreme lofty grade of MS76+ or MS68 there is little point in submitting if you are doing so to sell the coin.   And as I said your photos are not good enough to determine the amount of luster which is the critical component needed to reach those lofty grades.  I always tell people to look at the NGC coin explorer for information, it will give you the current pops and the price guide info which is very useful when deciding on if a coin may be worth submitting from a pure financial aspect.   I have included part of the information available in the explorer, when you look at the number of coins graded by just NGC (and then expect that PCGS has numbers that are on par) you can see that the market is flooded with high grade (MS66 or better) coins, so even if you get a grade as high as MS67 it may be tough to sell for a profit given the market saturation for this date/mm.

image.thumb.png.435b5ba8b2a56e3f35943b8b4b038e18.png

Now if you are interested in just testing your grading skills and want to submit anyway or want to use the coin for a set then it may well be worth the cost to you to submit.   My best guess from your photos is that you will receive a grade of MS66RD, the obverse is very nice but the incomplete "O" of one on the reverse should (I say should because this is not always the case) hold the grade under MS67.   But to reiterate the critical element to very high grades is the luster, which I just cannot determine from the photos.

I would submit the off center strike, that is a very nice error that error collectors like, and I think the value would be enhanced by having it slabbed.

On 3/11/2022 at 3:14 PM, Mom Boss said:

Hi there I have 2 Lincoln Wheat pennies I want to send in for certification but not sure if it would be worth it.. I’ve been collecting for 7 years now but I just recently started getting my coins certified. So I’ll put up some pictures to see what y’all think.. Any advice would be nice.. Thank you..

No. It will cost you more then the coins a worth.......IMO.

Thank you.. I can take better pictures tomorrow.., I don’t want to mess with the coin much.. It wasn’t only the appearance of the coin but also because of the 1955 and the O on the back of the coin that caught my attention. I also have a 1909 S VDB it’s a pretty cool coin I’m going to submit that one soon I just have difficulty trying to figure out a value..