• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1933 Double Eagle Hx

7 posts in this topic

The King's alleged corruption in Egypt and defeat during the 1948 Arab-Israeli War, led to a military coup on July 23, 1952, directed by Gamal Abdel Nasser, who forced Farouk to abdicate and exiled him to Italy and Monaco, where the former king lived the rest of his life. Immediately following Farouk's abdication the monarch's baby son, Fuad II, was proclaimed king, but for all intents and purposes the monarchy had been de facto abolished. In 1953 it was formally abolished and a republic was declared.

The new regime quickly moved to auction off the King's vast collection of trinkets and stolen treasures. Among the more famous of his possession was one of the rare 1933 Double Eagle coins, though the coin disappeared before it could be returned to the United States.

web page

What a farce to collect the $20 to monetize the coin. They weren't stolen but rather traded out for another double eagle of a different date. So the Treasury already received full value for the coin back in 1933.

Every time I read about the 1933 Double Eagle....I scratch my head and wonder why the 1913 Liberty Nickels are out there being sold for $4 million ....where's the secret service when you need them foreheadslap.gif

interesting history smile.gif

TDN, huh? Traded with who?

The cashier didn't just take the coins, he bought them during the short time period they were available for distribution. He undoubtably replaced them with a different date double eagle. The US Treasury was already whole on the deal.