• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How many collect Trade dollars, and what references do they use?
1 1

40 posts in this topic

On 1/29/2022 at 11:47 AM, numisport said:

Chop marks are certainly post mint damaged coins so I'm not interested.

See what you started?  I told you not to answer that! :facepalm:xD:roflmao:

Build it and they will come.

A comprehensive trade dollar book is long overdue.  An expert completed an excellent book about 10 years ago but he refuses to publish it for a variety of reasons.

The good news is recently an experienced collector revealed that he has done extensive research and plans to share it with the numismatic world when completed.

I hope he is successful.

On 1/26/2022 at 9:35 AM, zadok said:

yea but proofs spend just like non-proofs...

At one time so did buttons, or just about any other round metal item.  Didn't make them coins

On 2/3/2022 at 5:38 AM, Conder101 said:

At one time so did buttons, or just about any other round metal item.  Didn't make them coins

....quite true...but im still hedging my position that  US proofs r legally CLT n not NCLT....im sure they will spend better than buttons or tulips....

...hmmm do 2 positives still make a positive?, i may need a nap.....

On 1/24/2022 at 9:49 PM, RWB said:

There've been persistent rumors of a Trade dollar book to replace John M. Willem's 1959 book.

There's NOTHING since 1959 ?

Edited by GoldFinger1969

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

There's NOTHING since 1959 ???

Only the 1965 Whitman reprint of the 1959 original. I have both, and there's really no difference in quality.

The Bowers/Borchardt dollar encyclopedia of 1993 has some information about varieties, but the information is incomplete and, in some instances, no longer correct. There have been a number of good articles in The Gobrecht Journal over the years, but the sum of all this study does need to be under one cover at some point.

I'm looking at options and considering if brokering a collaborative effort is feasible. There's a lot of material available but it's idiosyncratic and often scattered. Putting current knowledge in one reference - print and electronic - would be beneficial. It would have to be done right because it's likely nothing else would be published for another 60 years. The latter implies careful vetting, preparation and presentation that is both meaningful and lasting.

Anyone who knows some TD enthusiasts, please ask them to contact me.

On 2/5/2022 at 1:28 AM, RWB said:

I'm looking at options and considering if brokering a collaborative effort is feasible. There's a lot of material available but it's idiosyncratic and often scattered. Putting current knowledge in one reference - print and electronic - would be beneficial. It would have to be done right because it's likely nothing else would be published for another 60 years. The latter implies careful vetting, preparation and presentation that is both meaningful and lasting.  Anyone who knows some TD enthusiasts, please ask them to contact me.

What kind of print run are we talking about -- 5,000 copies ?

Edited by GoldFinger1969

5,000.....no. More like 500, if that many. Each would have a CD, and that might also be available separately. This kind of stuff is too large to put on the internet except for a ftp download -- and that means the system has to be monitored.

(...and what are you doin' up at 1:45am EST?)