• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rookie requesting input#3 - 1984D - Die Crack & Double MM

2 posts in this topic

Hello everyone:

I've recently gotten into coin collecting & am really enjoying it. Joined NCG last week and am considering investing in getting several coins certified and would like to request input from more knowledgeable enthusiasts like yourselves with a few coins I am having trouble getting my mind around due to inexperience.

I came across this 1984 D penny with an easily noticeable, elevated line starting at the "IN" and going thru to Lincoln's eye. I am certain it is the result of a die issue and not just a scratch from being in circulation. There is also a black hole below and right shadowing the "D" MM, which is odd because the coin is otherwise in very good condition. I know some Philly 1984 pennies had doubling, but not sure what is going on here.

Is this unique and/or valuable enough to get certified? Or is it just another error penny worth a buck or 2?

Any advice you're willing to depart would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time - JFD

1984D Die Crack6.jpg

1984D Die Crack (2).jpg

1984D Die Crack (3).jpg

1984D Die Crack (4).jpg

1984D Die Crack5.jpg

1984D Die Crack6 (2).jpg

Hard to tell from those photos as they are out of focus, we need clear photos so we can make out the detail but I will guess from what I can see.

That line looks like scratch as it seems too straight to be a crack. Also on the mm, that looks like zinc rot setting in.I could be wrong but even if I wasn’t, it certainly would not be worth sending. Unless a coin is worth at least $150.00, it does not pay to get certified.