• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Overvalued or Undervalued?

7 posts in this topic

Overvalued, On target, Undervalued

1999,2000,2001,2002,2003,& 2004 Uncirculated Set, Proof set, and silver proof set.

2004 Westward Journey Set

2005 Westward Journey Set (Selling on e-bay for around 50 dollars)

Any favorite undervalued series? THANKS

If left intact, the UNC Mint Sets are not commanding abnormally high values when compared to some of the individual denominations, particularly the states quarters. In high grades, most of the '99 quarters are sky high. One fortunate find in a Mint Set could pay for dozens of the sets. There are still plenty of the sets available on eBay, but if you think you are going to get any of the high grade coins from these auctions, think again. You would be delusional if you thought the sellers haven't already checked!

Personally, I'm keeping the sets that don't have any high grade coins. I'm waiting to see what happens when the States Quarters Program comes to an end in 2008.........supposedly. There has been some talk about additional years for the District of Columbia and some of the U.S. Territories. If that happens, there may just be a renewed interest in sets from abroad.

Only the '99 Silver Proof Set has shown little indication of leveling off. I've been following them regularly on the Greysheet for several months, now, and they are currently at $315 Bid & $335 Ask. There are still many collectors looking for them because they didn't get in at the start of the SQ Program. Once again, the most astounding increases in values is for some of the individual proof coins, clad and silver. In this instance, it is not the SQ's, but the Roosevelt and Kennedy that are through the roof. I might understand it for the Kennedy, because the Mint hasn't released them for general circulation since 2000. Perhaps there is some twisted form of reasoning that is convincing some people that they will have to make do with the proof. Again, I am holding on to my sets because there still remains the question of when the SQ program will end.

The 2004 Westward Journey Coin and Medal Sets is another story. They are a joke! So many people rushed to get them primarily for the replica of the Peace Medal. I'd be surprised if you found anyone who wasn't disappointed in the quality of the medal. It looks like it came from a box of Crackerjacks. If it weren't for the fact that it had such a low mintage, many of the people who bought the sets would not have been able to unload them at a premium. I don't think there will be as much of a frenzy to buy the '05 set, but there will be some interest because of the new nickel designs, and there are still suckers..... OOPS! .....I mean collectors who have not yet seen the Peace Medal.

These are my opinions and observations. No doubt, others will disagree. At any moment I am expecting Hayden to chime in, "Chris, you don't sell any of your coins anyway!" I'll see you in Clearwater, Hayden! hi.gif

Chris

The 2005 Westward Journey sets are already sold out. 75,000 instead of 25,000 in 2004. I am glad that I had the forsight to buy my limit of 5. They are already selling on eBay for quite a premium. I had debated on whether or not to buy any, as I know the medals are [#@$%!!!]. But, like the next person, I like to make a profit once in awhile. Now, if they would just get them too me before everybody gets theirs up on eBay, driving the price down.

1999,2000,2001,2002,2003,& 2004 Uncirculated Set, Proof set, and silver proof set.

If left intact, the UNC Mint Sets are not commanding abnormally high values when compared to some of the individual denominations, particularly the states quarters. In high grades, most of the '99 quarters are sky high. One fortunate find in a Mint Set could pay for dozens of the sets. There are still plenty of the sets available on eBay, but if you think you are going to get any of the high grade coins from these auctions, think again. You would be delusional if you thought the sellers haven't already checked!

Personally, I'm keeping the sets that don't have any high grade coins. I'm waiting to see what happens when the States Quarters Program comes to an end in 2008.........supposedly. There has been some talk about additional years for the District of Columbia and some of the U.S. Territories. If that happens, there may just be a renewed interest in sets from abroad.

Only the '99 Silver Proof Set has shown little indication of leveling off. I've been following them regularly on the Greysheet for several months, now, and they are currently at $315 Bid & $335 Ask. There are still many collectors looking for them because they didn't get in at the start of the SQ Program. Once again, the most astounding increases in values is for some of the individual proof coins, clad and silver. In this instance, it is not the SQ's, but the Roosevelt and Kennedy that are through the roof. I might understand it for the Kennedy, because the Mint hasn't released them for general circulation since 2000. Perhaps there is some twisted form of reasoning that is convincing some people that they will have to make do with the proof. Again, I am holding on to my sets because there still remains the question of when the SQ program will end.

The 2004 Westward Journey Coin and Medal Sets is another story. They are a joke! So many people rushed to get them primarily for the replica of the Peace Medal. I'd be surprised if you found anyone who wasn't disappointed in the quality of the medal. It looks like it came from a box of Crackerjacks. If it weren't for the fact that it had such a low mintage, many of the people who bought the sets would not have been able to unload them at a premium. I don't think there will be as much of a frenzy to buy the '05 set, but there will be some interest because of the new nickel designs, and there are still suckers..... OOPS! .....I mean collectors who have not yet seen the Peace Medal.

These are my opinions and observations. No doubt, others will disagree. At any moment I am expecting Hayden to chime in, "Chris, you don't sell any of your coins anyway!" I'll see you in Clearwater, Hayden! hi.gif

Chris

I'm sorry I missed this thread till now,but now that you mention it Chris,most people prefer a picture of the coins before they buy them. poke2.gif

Chris

I'm sorry I missed this thread till now,but now that you mention it Chris,most people prefer a picture of the coins before they buy them. poke2.gif

It all boils down to trust............ RIGHT, HAYDEN?

But what does this have to do with U.S. Mint products? Oh! I see! You're trying to promote your eBay listings. smile.gifthumbsup2.gif

Chris

I think all of these recent US mint products are horribly overvalued. This has happened many times in the past. For example, look at the 1986 $5 gold. It was very expensive at first and then dropped way down. The mint is making so many of these proof sets and mint sets. There is nothing rare about them.

The Westward journey sets are just a couple of new nickels in a fancy box! The nickels are common while the box is somewhat scarce. I think these are overpriced too. I'm a coin collector, not a box collector.

you are most welcome cloud9.gif

oh my my yes many terribly collectible sleeper undervalued series out there

choice to gem proof brown and rb colored indian cents

hail.gifchoice to gem proof brown and rb matte proof lincolns hail.gifcloud9.gifhail.gifcloud9.gifhail.gifcloud9.gifhail.gif

any pre 1915 nice circ type coins maybe vf and higher for pre 1807 stuff good or better maybe even ag if really rare and pre 1802

wildly colored 36-42 proof lincolns gem brown and rb

choice proof colored or heavy cameo pre 1915 coins

civil war cameo choice proof gold coins

gem proof classic head half cents

any wildly colored gem proof pre 1915 coins

probably many more examples but this is a good start