• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1954 Nederlandse Antillen help please

8 posts in this topic

Not that I am impatient at all.  I did just move this question and coin over here to the newbie forum (I originally posted this on the World Coins forum) in the hopes of getting some feedback as a new post from the foreign coin pros here on the forum.  So far, I've found 10 really nice foreign silvers in the "haul" I was lucky in obtaining the other day from an antique shop.  This one was in the bunch (in a board holder) and really stood out to me due to its immaculate condition.  I did some research on it and found that the Proof of this 1954 is fairly rare with only 200 being struck.  I also saw on the NGC price guide that it carries a decent premium, condition dependent, if it is a Proof strike. I'm new to foreigns and would like to be able to distinguish a foreign Proof strike from a regular strike if there even is a difference vs U.S. coinage, I simply don't know.  This coin has been very well preserved.  I haven't been able to find a picture of, or information on, one of these exact coins with a photo, or an explanation, showing a Proof in which to compare mine to. It appears to me to be struck extremely well, has great definition/detail on all of the devices, and has a nice defined rim.... to my knowledge this is consistent with a Proof coin.  NGC's Proof photo of this coin on their World Coins link is unfortunately black and white.  Any help or input is greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

IMG_2835.jpeg

IMG_2815.jpeg

Hi Greg!

Thankfully, I do have some experience in this area.  In looking at your coin, it's not the proof version.  It's a circulation strike.  If you look at it, there's some striking weakness on the leaves on the reverse that wouldn't be there on a proof as a proof would have been struck at least twice.  Also, there are far more marks on the coin overall than you would expect with a proof due to the care taken in striking a proof coin.  It's a nice and well preserved circulation strike, but a circulation strike nonetheless.

I hope that is of some help, my friend.

~Tom

On 12/20/2021 at 1:15 PM, Mohawk said:

Hi Greg!

Thankfully, I do have some experience in this area.  In looking at your coin, it's not the proof version.  It's a circulation strike.  If you look at it, there's some striking weakness on the leaves on the reverse that wouldn't be there on a proof as a proof would have been struck at least twice.  Also, there are far more marks on the coin overall than you would expect with a proof due to the care taken in striking a proof coin.  It's a nice and well preserved circulation strike, but a circulation strike nonetheless.

I hope that is of some help, my friend.

~Tom

Thanks Tom for that info., I appreciate it.  I'm not sure why my pics are downloading like they are.  I never had such an issue with the blurry look with my pictures I'm posting here on the forum.  I'm using my iPhone to take the pics and then emailing them to my computer.  Once received on my email, they are noticeably distorted.  The pics on my cell phone are absolutely crystal clear and sharp as can be.  I've tried emailing them from my phone using the 4 different size files allowed: small, medium, large and actual size.    Doesn't seem to matter how I send them, they still turn out a bit distorted and blurry.  Very frustrating to say the least.  By NO means am I doubting your judgment on the strike of the leaves my friend.  It's just that I am at my wits end trying to figure out how to transfer the great pics from my phone, to my computer, and have them turn out as good as what I am seeing on my phone screen.  Any suggestions on this????;)

Edited by GBrad

On 12/20/2021 at 1:43 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Greg, I found these on FeeBay. Not as nice as yours though.

Thank you Bill for looking those up for me and the compliment on my coin. I wonder where this Ebay seller is getting his listing prices from.  According to the NGC price guide, a MS 60 is only in the $14 range so you know AU's wouldn't even come close to the asking prices you posted fro this seller (which seems to be a reputable company). I haven't looked at other sources of pricing, or past sales results as of yet, but I will.  

It's probably the best condition copper Bronze coin I own, especially for its age.  It really is a beautiful coin and I can't help but to wonder what it would grade.  I can't see it as anything less than mid MS, IMHO.  There's barely a scratch on it and I don't see any signs of circulation wear at all.  As I explained in the above post to @Mohawk, my pics are not turning out very crisp and clear and I'm perplexed as to why. Never had that problem in the past.  Thanks Bill!!(thumbsu

Edited by GBrad

On 12/20/2021 at 2:22 PM, GBrad said:

Thanks Tom for that info., I appreciate it.  I'm not sure why my pics are downloading like they are.  I never had such an issue with the blurry look with my pictures I'm posting here on the forum.  I'm using my iPhone to take the pics and then emailing them to my computer.  Once received on my email, they are noticeably distorted.  The pics on my cell phone are absolutely crystal clear and sharp as can be.  I've tried emailing them from my phone using the 4 different size files allowed: small, medium, large and actual size.    Doesn't seem to matter how I send them, they still turn out a bit distorted and blurry.  Very frustrating to say the least.  By NO means am I doubting your judgment on the strike of the leaves my friend.  It's just that I am at my wits end trying to figure out how to transfer the great pics from my phone, to my computer, and have them turn out as good as what I am seeing on my phone screen.  Any suggestions on this????;)

You've got me there, my friend.  I have no experience getting photos from my phone to my computer, sadly.  I photograph my coins and notes with my digital camera and upload them to my computer from the camera.  I'm hoping someone can help you with this though, I'd like to learn myself.

Greg

Emailing pictures, can reduce pixels when using things like Hotmail, Gmail etc. there is a setting for emailing pictures that control that, small, medium ,large, and actual full resolution.. I have my phone set to full resolution.

here are some tips.

https://mrdif.com/how-to-send-photos-in-the-highest-resolution-on-iphone/

if you are using Gmail, like me, read this

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-reduce-photo-sizes-on-gmail

Not that I haven’t struggled, I’m trying to figure out the best way to use my powerful Nikon to get 15 megapixel images, but so far, the iPhone is easier and better. Hope this helps

Bill

070B35CE-A012-41D4-A35E-C6D85DE904F7.jpeg

26CA0700-5F2A-4F18-AFBE-43480CBD6701.jpeg

Edited by Mr.Bill347
Personal edit

I plug my phone directly into my laptop to transfer pictures. It seems to work well.

And here is a link to the Numista page on your coin, in case you haven't checked it out over there. (Sorry, no picture of a proof.)

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces2725.html