• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tiberius AD 14-37 Silver Denarius Tribute Penny- Real or Fake?

4 posts in this topic

Hi,

Im new to NGC, and I not that familiar with ancient coins in regards to knowing if they are potentially real or fakes. 

My uncle just gave what he says is a Roman coin. He purchased it 60 years ago, and has held onto it without having it authenticated. 

I would love your comments as to whether or not it's potentially authentic or not. I read that this particular coin is faked alot, so I'm leaning to it being a fake more than authentic, unfortunately. The pattern along both sides of the coin is so intact and not minted off center at all makes me think the way I'm thinking 

Thanks so much for your help. 

Mike 

PXL_20211212_152442057~2.jpg

PXL_20211212_152535369~2.jpg

PXL_20211212_070316291~3.jpg

PXL_20211212_065620182~3.jpg

PXL_20211212_065520580~5.jpg

Counterfeit.

Search the web for "Tiberius denarius, replica" for hundreds of these things sold to people because of a supposed biblical connection.

Hi RWB,

Thanks for your reply. 

I searched "Tiberius Denarius replica", and there it was. Exactly the coin that I was given. 

I had a feeling that it wasn't real, but you directing me to replicas was spot on. 

I appreciate your follow up. Thanks so much. 

Mike 

Mike, feel free to ask any coin-related questions here on the NGC message boards. You will find collectors with a wide range of knowledge and sound information who are pleased to help others.

Unfortunately, most of the "ancients" people find in family accumulations are fake. That is especially sad because not only do owners build hope of owning valuable coins, but once disclosed few owners of fakes take the time to understand the history behind originals. Failure to learn from the past is one of humankind's gravest mistakes.

Edited by RWB