• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1821 R Brazil 40 Reis - Mint error?
1 1

2 posts in this topic

@JKN

[Fred Weinberg, the soon to be retired "error coin legend," with 60+ years of experience in such coins would ordinarily be the go-to source for your question.  I see a clipped planchet with a pronounced straight edge.  My wife was of no assistance whatsoever, staring at your photos silently for a moment before blurting out in fractured English: "Why they don't show the other [missing] part? Why they (presumably the Brazilian Mint) do it like that?"  Pending a response from an informed viewer, I would guess: a). Your father acquired and kept the coin because it appealed to his curiosity for such rarely seen relics, and b). The wear pattern suggests a pattern of repetitious, numismatically cringe-worthy mishandling: thumbprint-sized wear on the obverse and similarly localized forefinger-sized wear on the reverse.

Value?  I wouldn't hazard a guess 🤔.  However, rare or unique a coin may be, it's ultimately demand that is a determinant in establishing its price. IMHO.