• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1943 S Steel Penny

12 posts in this topic

AU, with a rim ding at 5:00 on the obverse. The surfaces look a little iffy, though. Looks like it has been messed with more than just what you would expect from normal circulation. It may just be the pictures or my phone, though.

On 10/29/2021 at 1:45 PM, Just Bob said:

AU, with a rim ding at 5:00 on the obverse. The surfaces look a little iffy, though. Looks like it has been messed with more than just what you would expect from normal circulation. It may just be the pictures or my phone, though.

I can't help but think it looks re-plated, so you're not the only one who wonders. My understanding of the grading is that a rim dinged coin can't even make EF, though, so I'd say VF probably plated. Too bad, as it otherwise looks to have the detail for at least EF.

I'm with Jonathan....it does look like a replated piece.  I've seen a ton of those in my time, and they look just like that.  VF Details-Replated is dead on in my mind.

On 10/29/2021 at 5:08 PM, Mohawk said:

I'm with Jonathan....it does look like a replated piece.  I've seen a ton of those in my time, and they look just like that.  VF Details-Replated is dead on in my mind.

Good then can you tell me if this one is? I got it in a roll I bought off eBay and was wondering how does one tell unless they’ve seen them first hand. It also has a die crack on the reverse. I’m assuming that’s common on steal pennies as well as the steal is a little more stronger material and not forgiving on the dies.

60153649-815F-4033-A3FC-6768D4D3D2A7.jpeg

6BC3B75A-7448-443F-92B2-6AFDABC98C3D.jpeg

I’m assuming when it’s plated then the whole coin including the rim are the same color, Or will only Obverse and reverse take on a newer shiny appearance and the rim duller one? Sorry again I’ve never come across one so I don’t know how plating is done exactly.

On 10/31/2021 at 11:59 PM, Keith Dee said:

Good then can you tell me if this one is? I got it in a roll I bought off eBay and was wondering how does one tell unless they’ve seen them first hand. It also has a die crack on the reverse. I’m assuming that’s common on steal pennies as well as the steal is a little more stronger material and not forgiving on the dies.

60153649-815F-4033-A3FC-6768D4D3D2A7.jpeg

6BC3B75A-7448-443F-92B2-6AFDABC98C3D.jpeg

You have started another thread on this coin.  Please review the question asked on your thread.  Thanks.(thumbsu

On 11/1/2021 at 1:42 AM, GBrad said:

You have started another thread on this coin.  Please review the question asked on your thread.  Thanks.(thumbsu

I did and thanks. Sorry I just joined and seen he had the same question I did without learning how to start my own first. Sorry BJGamer for jumping in on yours but hey at least this way you can see what a unplated one looks like. At least that’s whats been determined thus far.