• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2015 Bombay Hook Refuge Quarter Shore Line
1 1

6 posts in this topic

On 10/10/2021 at 10:42 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

I'm not seeing it. Can you point out the extra shoreline?

Hey Mike, can't speak for the op but this may be the shoreline they are referring to.  Not sure if it is a lighting issue. I'm not that familiar with Washingtons but 'maybe' looks promising.  If this is the area in question then closer, clear and cropped pics may be of benefit to be able to tell what is going on in this area.  It does look different than the stock photo of the same Quarter.  Just my 2 pennies worth here......

225757927_DelewareQuartercloseup.thumb.jpg.4198029bbbbbf20382c8f3870d6df26d.jpg

Yes that's where I'm referring to on the coin, thanks GBrad.  Another person commented that this is where the coin took a hit.  I asked them what they meant but haven't heard anything back yet.  Any idea what they might mean?  I haven't seen one of these quarters with this kind of damage yet, but I'm no quarter expert.  Thanks in advance for any insight. 

On 10/10/2021 at 2:24 PM, Terrance Zamora said:

Yes that's where I'm referring to on the coin, thanks GBrad.  Another person commented that this is where the coin took a hit.  I asked them what they meant but haven't heard anything back yet.  Any idea what they might mean?  I haven't seen one of these quarters with this kind of damage yet, but I'm no quarter expert.  Thanks in advance for any insight. 

If someone is talking about your coin 'taking a hit' then they may have been talking about another area on your coin that was damaged.  I hit means a coin took a blow or impact from either another coin or a foreign object which would cause damage to the surface of the coin.  Happens all the time and leads new collectors to think they have something of value.... not the case.  A hit causes post mint damage (PMD) and devalues a coin for the most part.  I personally do not see anyway possible that a 'hit' could have caused what you are seeing regarding the shoreline on your Quarter. There's always a chance that portion of your coin exhibits a true form of doubling but I am not into Quarters.  True hub doubling is the same no matter what denomination it may appear on.  There are numerous other forms of worthless doubling that constantly fool people and carries no value at all.  However, with all of that said, the year your coin was struck, the mint was using a type of single squeeze die manufacturing.  I am very familiar with Lincoln Cent Doubled Dies but like I said, I am not a Quarter guy and I'm not familiar with what post 1989 year (when the single squeeze method was implemented, at least for Cents)  Washington Quarters exhibit true doubling.  If I had to guess, I would venture to say the area in question on your coin is a result of die deterioration doubling which is of no value.  Maybe someone more familiar with Quarters will chime in.  

I think most of the Doubling for that Coin involves the vegetation, but if I recall correctly, there are quite a few so I could be off. But hey it's only 5 bucks to send it in. That's what I would do. Js.