• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Submission of 5 British Crowns
1 1

50 posts in this topic

No cataracts for me! I just had my eyes examined in August and they were proclaimed "very healthy", though I'm horribly nearsighted.  But my dad has had cataracts and cataract surgery, so they may be in my future, too.  

@VKurtB: re eye surgeons...  I believe you are correct.

(Unfortunately, the Board Guidelines, the Moderators and their on-call chaperones, while allowing me the courtesy of acknowledging your comment, will not permit elaboration. You understand.)

On 10/5/2021 at 2:41 PM, zadok said:

totally incorrect....attributions r actions of "regarding", "ascribing" or "characteristic of" not even close to being fact based or documented as.....pedestrian comment....

Hey, … hey … who said anything about walkin’? :roflmao:

On 10/5/2021 at 9:25 PM, VKurtB said:

Hey, … hey … who said anything about walkin’? :roflmao:

...i didnt know if slunking is a real word.....

On 10/5/2021 at 9:27 PM, zadok said:

...i didnt know if slunking is a real word.....

1. Skulking, I've heard of.  Slunking, I don't believe I have.  But I know better than to challenge the Great One. (worship)
  2. Edit:  Holy cow, there is such a word!  (worship)

On 10/5/2021 at 9:48 PM, Quintus Arrius said:
  1. Skulking, I've heard of.  Slunking, I don't believe I have.  But I know better than to challenge the Great One. (worship)
  2. Edit:  Holy cow, there is such a word!  (worship)

B|

I figured I’d add a couple of facts here to illustrate which commenter is err, umm, full of poop with his opinions about opinions, and these are FACTS, real verifiable ones, not ones sucked out of a helium balloon in Virginia.

BOTH the 1951 and 1960 Prooflike crowns are WIDELY RECOGNIZED throughout the hobby, and NOT some invention by any TPGS firm. Both of them are given their own separate listing in the Standard Catalog of World Coins, and indeed the 1960 lists a separate mintage for the prooflike.

Now if YOU want to trust the words that come out of the “gentleman” (as if…) from Virginia’s mouth or come shooting out of his fingers onto his keyboard, welp, I don’t know how to help you. To each his own, I suppose. I choose to pay him no mind as a source on ANYTHING.  He is as welcome as the next guy to have his own opinions, but he‘s NOT entitled to mislabel them as facts, and worse yet, dismiss ACTUAL facts as mere opinion. That is as close to a practical definition of “ignorant” as I’ve yet seen.

Edited by VKurtB

@VKurtB  There was an inadvertent benefit to reviewing the lists of grading standards as used by other countries.

For example, in Angleterre XF / EF, i.e., Extremely Fine, is a better grade than MS which rates higher than UNC.

Both Spain and Italy use SPL (Splendido) and EBC (Extraordiniamente Bien Conservada) respectively to define a range which embraces our AU-55 to MS-64. To each his own.

To make matters worse, I summoned the courage to write our own APMEX and ask them how they define the term "Brilliant Uncirculated" (which Spain and Italy do not recognize)  and was dispatched with a one-liner, to the effect BU covers anything from MS-60 to MS-70.  I KNEW AT THAT MOMENT IN A COUNTRY THAT USES AU, UNC, CHOICE, GEM, BU AND COMBINATIONS OF ALL (WITH ONE SELLER AMPLIFYING HER PRODUCT WITH THE USE OF THE TERM, "LOVINGLY," THAT I HAD NO RIGHT BEING IN THE COIN BUSINESS, IF EVER I DID.

Now that I am retired, I can give the chaperones here a break and lock horns with APMEX, which uses numismatic terms interchangeably as they see fit.  I know My Cousin Vinny will sympathize because it is this precise misuse of the English language that has forced him to risk his health, if not the lives of his family in pursuit of perfection on byways, highways and skyway.  And if it suits him, I shall henceforth refer to his learned colleague, stubborn in his ways as we all are, as the doctor who still makes house calls.   😉 

On 10/10/2021 at 3:04 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@VKurtB  There was an inadvertent benefit to reviewing the lists of grading standards as used by other countries.

For example, in Angleterre XF / EF, i.e., Extremely Fine, is a better grade than MS which rates higher than UNC.

Both Spain and Italy use SPL (Splendido) and EBC (Extraordiniamente Bien Conservada) respectively to define a range which embraces our AU-55 to MS-64. To each his own.

To make matters worse, I summoned the courage to write our own APMEX and ask them how they define the term "Brilliant Uncirculated" (which Spain and Italy do not recognize)  and was dispatched with a one-liner, to the effect BU covers anything from MS-60 to MS-70.  I KNEW AT THAT MOMENT IN A COUNTRY THAT USES AU, UNC, CHOICE, GEM, BU AND COMBINATIONS OF ALL (WITH ONE SELLER AMPLIFYING HER PRODUCT WITH THE USE OF THE TERM, "LOVINGLY," THAT I HAD NO RIGHT BEING IN THE COIN BUSINESS, IF EVER I DID.

Now that I am retired, I can give the chaperones here a break and lock horns with APMEX, which uses numismatic terms interchangeably as they see fit.  I know My Cousin Vinny will sympathize because it is this precise misuse of the English language that has forced him to risk his health, if not the lives of his family in pursuit of perfection on byways, highways and skyway.  And if it suits him, I shall henceforth refer to his learned colleague, stubborn in his ways as we all are, as the doctor who still makes house calls.   😉 

Would it surprise you to know my Medicare supplement, provided by the good People of the Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, includes as many as 50 annual home healthcare visits? My Alabama doctors look up my insurance benefits and say they have never even HEARD OF coverage that comprehensive. 

On 10/10/2021 at 4:48 PM, VKurtB said:

Would it surprise you to know my Medicare supplement, provided by the good People of the Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, includes as many as 50 annual home healthcare visits? My Alabama doctors look up my insurance benefits and say they have never even HEARD OF coverage that comprehensive. 

...do u read ur PM on here?....i sent u one last night wondering if u could answer it?...thanks...

On 10/10/2021 at 4:48 PM, VKurtB said:

Would it surprise you to know my wife and I each pay $135/mo for Medicare out of our Social Security which is just over $9,000/yr? Doctors  dentists, eye care, prescriptions, etc., are paid out of my pocket. I pay the rent and the bill for her cellphone.  I am not in the least concerned about anything.    🤔 

On 10/11/2021 at 5:03 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

A 1935 NGC MS65+ "rocking horse" sold for $467.74 (shipping included) yesterday, the obverse held that one back from a 66. You done good. (thumbsu

In what sort of venue was that sale? I paid £50 for mine, and got a refund on the VAT when we left Gatwick. Of course I spent to have it NGC graded. Out of my hands for nearly 3 months. 

On 10/10/2021 at 10:18 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Would it surprise you to know my wife and I each pay $135/mo for Medicare out of our Social Security which is just over $9,000/yr? Doctors  dentists, eye care, prescriptions, etc., are paid out of my pocket. I pay the rent and the bill for her cellphone.  I am not in the least concerned about anything.    🤔 

I also “pay” a small monthly copay toward my Social Security supplement, but it is a) deducted from my monthly pension, and b) is so low it’s embarrassing. Between my Soc Sec and my pension, I pay the mortgage, utilities, cable, and about 2/3 of our food expenses. My wife, still full time employed, picks up the rest. 

Both the electric and the water are TVA co-ops, which makes me a part owner. 

Somewhere, there’s a piece of paper saying how much comes out of my Soc Sec for Part B. I have no idea how much it is. It is what it is. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 10/11/2021 at 3:45 PM, VKurtB said:

In what sort of venue was that sale? I paid £50 for mine, and got a refund on the VAT when we left Gatwick. Of course I spent to have it NGC graded. Out of my hands for nearly 3 months. 

1935 King George V Great Britain Silver Rocking Horse Jubilee Crown NGC MS65+ | eBay 

Cert # 6134526-007

Had some honest color to it, although the NGC images have the coin much darker looking, and a Morganesque die crack running around the legend. Now that I'm looking at it again the shield on the reverse has a couple of marks on it.

On 10/11/2021 at 3:08 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

1935 King George V Great Britain Silver Rocking Horse Jubilee Crown NGC MS65+ | eBay 

Cert # 6134526-007

Had some honest color to it, although the NGC images have the coin much darker looking, and a Morganesque die crack running around the legend. Now that I'm looking at it again the shield on the reverse has a couple of marks on it.

It surely has waaaay more toning than mine.  Mine is so “blast” white that I nearly lost parts of two fingers a la Jason Pierre-Paul. :insane:

Mine is Cert# 6269439-001 grade 65

Edited by VKurtB

On 10/11/2021 at 4:11 PM, VKurtB said:

Mine is Cert# 6269439-001 grade 65

Nice! :cool:

I definitely prefer the look of the 65 to the 65+, especially when comparing the NGC images, and I would say both were well deserving of their grades. 

On 10/11/2021 at 3:34 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Nice! :cool:

I definitely prefer the look of the 65 to the 65+, especially when comparing the NGC images, and I would say both were well deserving of their grades. 

The PL67 1960 is on line 5 of the same form. 

On 10/11/2021 at 5:25 PM, VKurtB said:

The PL67 1960 is on line 5 of the same form.

Not much doubt of PL on that one. Did it come in any type of case or exhibition holder like the 5 shillings or RM medal?

On 10/11/2021 at 5:37 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Not much doubt of PL on that one. Did it come in any type of case or exhibition holder like the 5 shillings or RM medal?

It was in book stock at the Bloomsbury Coin Fair in London. December 2019. Just a cardboard 2.5x2.5.   Even though Bloomsbury is no bigger than a small club show over here, the whole place was crawling with quality pieces. Much nicer than typical quality at small shows here. 

Edited by VKurtB