• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Transatlantic Crossing -Centennial
1 1

9 posts in this topic

[I don't know if a centennial coin was struck marking the observace of the first ever east-west flight across the Atantic by the R[igid]-34 airship as well as the first-ever west-east return flight a week later, a largely forgotten chaper in British aviation history and historic events which took place in July 1919 with 66 passengers and crew. Translation: Lindbergh was not the first.

Charles Lindberg flew a custom-built, single-engine, single seat, high-wing monoplane, christened the "Spirit of St.Louis from Mineola, Long Island, New York to Le Bourget Air Field some nine years later. It took him roughly 33.5 hours to cover 3,600 miles with rudimentary instruments. (The plane was shipped back.)

My primary reason for this recapitulation is to recall an astounding feat of aviation and secondly to politely suggest this nearly forgetten milestone is but five years off with sufficient time to come up with a design for an appropriate commemorative collectors will approve of. (I know My Cousin Vinny will approve because he can't seem to get enough of centenaries and multiples thereof.)] 😉  

On 9/26/2021 at 11:07 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

[I don't know if a centennial coin was struck marking the observace of the first ever east-west flight across the Atantic by the R[igid]-34 airship as well as the first-ever west-east return flight a week later, a largely forgotten chaper in British aviation history and historic events which took place in July 1919 with 66 passengers and crew. Translation: Lindbergh was not the first.

Charles Lindberg flew a custom-built, single-engine, single seat, high-wing monoplane, christened the "Spirit of St.Louis from Mineola, Long Island, New York to Le Bourget Air Field some nine years later. It took him roughly 33.5 hours to cover 3,600 miles with rudimentary instruments. (The plane was shipped back.)

My primary reason for this recapitulation is to recall an astounding feat of aviation and secondly to politely suggest this nearly forgetten milestone is but five years off with sufficient time to come up with a design for an appropriate commemorative collectors will approve of. (I know My Cousin Vinny will approve because he can't seem to get enough of centenaries and multiples thereof.)] 😉  

not really comparable feats...the 1919 flight was less than half the distance of lindbergs flight (newfoundland to ireland) n was not a solo flight....

On 9/27/2021 at 12:39 AM, zadok said:

not really comparable feats...the 1919 flight was less than half the distance of lindbergs flight (newfoundland to ireland) n was not a solo flight....

They all crossed the Atlantic using global aerial arcs before their time.  Besides, Lindbergh had nobody to depend on but himself including time for sporadic sleep.  Political leanings, notwithstanding, the young aviator deserves recognition beyond being reimbursed for gas money and having to contend with losing his son afterwards.

[Endnote:  Wikipedia via Google]  "In April 1913, the London newspaper The Daily Mail offered a price of Pds 10,000 to the aviator who shall first cross the Atlantic in an aeroplane in flight from any point in the United Statrs of America, Canada or Newfoundland and any point in Great Britain or Ireland" in 72 continuous hours."

@GoldFinger1969... the idea of transatlantic flight came about with the advent of the hot air  balloon.... The first successful transatlantic flight in a balloon was the Double Eagle Ii from Presque Isle, Maine to Miserey near  Paris in 1978.]

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Die cleaning.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

That centennial is coming up in 1924. I believe just two of the four airplanes made it all the way around the world, but it was still an amazing achievement with so few aviation facilities at the time.

On 9/27/2021 at 10:07 AM, DWLange said:

That centennial is coming up in 1924. I believe just two of the four airplanes made it all the way around the world, but it was still an amazing achievement with so few aviation facilities at the time.

Thanks for the input!

On 9/27/2021 at 12:39 AM, zadok said:

I will regard you, with a rare gift of reducing fisticuffs to an emoji  as The Great Zadok as long as I live.

If you will permit me to do so, I should gently like to point out that the Ri34 you worship may have racked up less mileage  but took over twice the time, four (4) days to accomplish. I readily acknowledged Lindberg flew alone, but he did not have scores of people keying the drum checking on things, and had nothing but his know-how and wits to keep him on course, doze off and alive. He did everything by himself.  Fast forwarding, if Kennedy had a co-pilot and some knowledge of instrument training, maybe, just maybe, he could have made it safely to Nantucket Island.  For good measure, maybe if Amelia Earhart had a co-pilot, she too, could have reached her destination safely.  My whole point is give credit where credit is due -- and I am not even an aviation fan.

On 9/27/2021 at 4:43 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

I will regard you, with a rare gift of reducing fisticuffs to an emoji  as The Great Zadok as long as I live.

If you will permit me to do so, I should gently like to point out that the Ri34 you worship may have racked up less mileage  but took over twice the time, four (4) days to accomplish. I readily acknowledged Lindberg flew alone, but he did not have scores of people keying the drum checking on things, and had nothing but his know-how and wits to keep him on course, doze off and alive. He did everything by himself.  Fast forwarding, if Kennedy had a co-pilot and some knowledge of instrument training, maybe, just maybe, he could have made it safely to Nantucket Island.  For good measure, maybe if Amelia Earhart had a co-pilot, she too, could have reached her destination safely.  My whole point is give credit where credit is due -- and I am not even an aviation fan.

just comments of no real vested energy....Earhart had a co-pilot, just got lost n ran out of fuel n available land......Kennedy lack of flying experience, uncalled for deaths...Lindberg significant accomplishment due to solo flight n distance...the previous trans-atlantic 1919 flight much less significant, less than half the distance of Lindberg n not a solo flight...to ur orig proposal re anni coin, doubtful...there was no mention of anything bout the 2019 anni of first flight n doubtful much interest in anni of Lindberg's either as far as issuing a coin.....present admin more likely try issue some kind of mandated vaccine for air travel coin than honor any historical achievement....

On 9/27/2021 at 4:43 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

im more of a zeppelin fan myself......the non-lead kind...