• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Next comes the chapter on the Huguenot-Walloon Tercentenary Celebration.
1 1

38 posts in this topic

personally i found leeg's narrative on the HW tercentenary both informative n interesting (also professionally presented), ive always thought that the gov't commemorative efforts surrounding the HW n Norse American n Jamestown Expo anniversaries were well done n provided ample collectible items...stamps, coins, exonumia etc...while there was no commemorative coin produced for the 1907 JE i was curious if leeg's research efforts incorporated similar historical narratives on the JE as well??...curious minds want to know...

On 9/13/2021 at 6:57 PM, VKurtB said:

Domestic relations attorneys seem to last more than 500 years and are far more vicious. As for the possible commemorative, didn’t the 1924 half dollar cover it adequately?

In my book project it doesn't. The chapter around the coin is just that, around the coin. The chapter following is around the Celebration. You must not have read my chapter around the coin.

Thanks for the question.

Edited by leeg

Yes, I am a little bit sensitive around my work on this book. Some reasons why:

Since I retired from the U.S. Navy (Senior Chief-E-8) I had a few jobs till one of those jobs I got hurt. Took me 13 months to get Social Security Disability.

Before my disability I worked at David Lawrence Rare Coins. I was part of the start-up of DGS. I put all the coins in the holders. I then had a job offer from NGC that I reluctantly had to turn down.

For the past 10+ years "my job" now has been researching information for my book around the early commemorative coin series. My mentor has been Roger Burdette. Thanks Roger!!! I couldn't have got this far without your incite and hard work!

I am definitely not "tooting my own horn" around this and need no apologies. I will not finish this chapter. I just wanted folks on this coin forum to know my background.  Thank you,

Lee

On 9/6/2021 at 12:23 AM, Just Bob said:

I wonder if any of the artifacts found at the Fort Orange site were returned to the Netherlands. I would think that their national museum would be interested in displaying pieces from the "New World."

Slippery slope.  Should Cleopatra's Needle, the obelisk erected behind the Metropolitan Museum of Art in 1881, and covered from head to toe with now fading hieroglyphics, be returned to Egypt?  How about that giant Willamette Meteorite which was hauled across the country by twenty horse-drawn carts to the American Museum of Natural History in 1906? And what about the then $500,000 worth of gold bullion the U.S. Marines  expropriated from Haiti "for safekeeping" during the invasion of 1915. It's been sitting, presumably at the FRB in New York City now for over 100 years.

On 9/6/2021 at 2:03 PM, RWB said:

French love to wear their medals - Légion d'honneur, Croix de Guerre, and the Grand Apprentissage de la Propreté, etc. The Americans just wear their crooked tie and coat unbuttoned.

;)

My [French-speaking] wife, then 60 and homeless at the time, refused to allow me to accompany her to a NYC office in cutoff jeans, shirt not fully buttoned and tucked in, with a newspaper tucked in my back pocket. She said I looked like a vagabond.  I countered with: "You don't go all dressed up to the welfare office!" She relented and I watched her shopping cart and hand truck outside while she took are of her business inside.

On 9/16/2021 at 10:58 AM, leeg said:

Yes, I am a little bit sensitive around my work on this book. Some reasons why:

Since I retired from the U.S. Navy (Senior Chief-E-8) I had a few jobs till one of those jobs I got hurt. Took me 13 months to get Social Security Disability.

Before my disability I worked at David Lawrence Rare Coins. I was part of the start-up of DGS. I put all the coins in the holders. I then had a job offer from NGC that I reluctantly had to turn down.

For the past 10+ years "my job" now has been researching information for my book around the early commemorative coin series. My mentor has been Roger Burdette. Thanks Roger!!! I couldn't have got this far without your incite and hard work!

I am definitely not "tooting my own horn" around this and need no apologies. I will not finish this chapter. I just wanted folks on this coin forum to know my background.  Thank you,

Lee

I thoroughly enjoyed what you've written... even if, as a writer, you misspelled insight, as incite.  😉 

On 10/15/2021 at 10:57 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

I thoroughly enjoyed what you've written... even if, as a writer, you misspelled insight, as incite.  😉 

True that.