• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Breaking up proof Sets

6 posts in this topic

We would need to see photos of the coins to be able to give you any guidance, the short answer is maybe.   Some early proof sets have some really nicely toned original coins that can be worth more than the intact set if graded and sold individually.   And some sets have not so nicely toned or in some instances coins that have been replaced with lesser coins and in those cases it may be better left alone.  So back to my opening comment, photos are needed for us to help you.

7 hours ago, MESmagner said:

Is it worth breaking up Proof Sets from 1952 and 1953 to get graded? Or do I just leave them in their packaging?

Here are a few factors that might argue for 'yes". 1) Very attractive toning. 2) The existence of cameo or especially Ultra Cameo candidates. Question: They are in the cardboard box packaging with the original individual plastic bags stapled together, right? And those staples may even be rusting, right?

Edited by VKurtB

Sorry, Fat fingered. It's 1953 and 1956. I also have a 1957 and 1963. I'm pretty new to this. I'm assuming by "Toning" it means tarnished or looks like a rainbow? If so, the 1953 silver has quite a bit of it, it's pretty hard to tell with the plastic cover.

IMG_4737.JPG

IMG_4739.JPG

IMG_4741.JPG

IMG_4754.JPG

The 1953 has already been “taken apart”. That is an aftermarket holder. 

From your photos the only coin that might be worth submitting is the 1953 quarter for the nice color, as Kurt mentioned that set was already cut up or its a set that was made up from loose single coins.    None of the other coins appear to have much (or any) color or cameo qualities that would justify the cost of grading, of course that is judging from the photos and in hand I might have a different opinion.