• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sending old coins for grading.

3 posts in this topic

If anyone could help me, I have a few 1800's coins I want to get graded. I looked at the different tiers NGC has for grading and I think the one for $38.00 might be the way to go. Is this the correct tiers for beginners?

If you could post a image of Obv & Rev cropped, the folks here will be able to give you better advice. Just make sure it's in focus the best you can and no over the top glare..
FYI...a person level of experience doesn't really change the tier you'd send it in. Economy/$22 is a option...it is slower but same results.

The tier you need to use is tied to the valuation of the coins, if your coins are all worth $300 each or less you can use the Economy tier which is $22 per coin plus shipping and handling.  The down side to the economy tier is that it is very slow, according to the NGC site it looks like they show the economy service at 53 days.   Of importance you need to understand that the turnaround times are work days not weekends or holidays and that the time does not start until your package has been opened and a recorded into the system, so economy including shipping both ways could easily be three months.

The next tier up is the regular which is for coins valued up to 3K each, this tier (early bird/standard) costs $38 per coin but the good news is that the turnaround time is much faster currently showing 20 days.   If your coins are higher in value than 3K then there are additional tiers for those, so choose the tier you need biased on the value and/or the speed of service you desire.