• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1955 D Silver Wheat Penny 3grams
1 1

16 posts in this topic

I have a question about this wheat penny. It’s weighing in at 3 grams and is silver with some red/toning

Has some light doubling but definitely visible doubling under a microscope.

my scale is alittle off but it comes in at 3.00-3.02

Any idea on what this is? Planchet error? Planchet type?

94CC4050-44CA-4C8F-9F5A-A0D817C86387.jpeg

FE43F70B-D911-4565-9C92-88C54524DFEC.jpeg

Can anyone tell me all the weights/types of different planchets that made it through the mint during the wheat penny series? Would be a major help thank you or a link to a site that has information on that? I can’t find anything regarding planchet types weights and errors on the net right now....

Looks like a regular Lincoln Cent to me. The weight is within tolerance and copper coins can change to many different colours and shades depending on the environment. Could even have been cleaned with a household cleaner which will change the colour.

I agree, normal cent. Weight is normal, could be some kind of weird toning.  Always the possibility too that someone painted it or a poor plating job that wore off.

Oh okay that makes total sense!! I bet household cleaners would be the culprit here on this coin as cutler stang and mike explained. I will not be sending in this one this time around. Thank you!!!

18 hours ago, Me4it said:

Can anyone tell me all the weights/types of different planchets that made it through the mint during the wheat penny series? Would be a major help thank you or a link to a site that has information on that? I can’t find anything regarding planchet types weights and errors on the net right now....

Diameter punched blank

Thickness punched blank

Diameter milled blank

Thickness at rim of milled blank

Diameter finished coin

Thickness at rim of coin

Standard Weight

19.15 or 18.87

1.47 or 1.57

3.11g

A cent struck in silver alloy would also be much heavier than standard 3.11 grams -- about 3.59 grams.

PS: Please crop your photos tightly to eliminate extraneous background. It makes them easier to examine and therefore easier for members to help you.

Edited by RWB

[For the record, never, for one moment, did this certified rank amateur believe silver in plating, or in any other fashion, was involved.

Now, if there were an allegation of gold being used to plate America the Beautiful quarters, I don't think anyone would be disinclined to believe it.] 😉