• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why many pre-1887 Mint documents are missing.

6 posts in this topic

This short letter helps explain a little of why so many Philadelphia Mint documents prior to 1887 are missing. Other, earlier, letters seem to support this approach. (The journal that might include Fox's original letter has not yet been digitized.)

18871101 Old documents and their disposition_Page_1.jpg

Edited by RWB

Interesting, thanks Roger.

It might be in your new book, but do you have any letters or communiques or inquiries from the Philly Mint regarding those 1928 stolen DEs ?

I'm wondering if they put their thoughts on that in writing or mostly talked about it.

1 hour ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

It might be in your new book, but do you have any letters or communiques or inquiries from the Philly Mint regarding those 1928 stolen DEs ?

I'm wondering if they put their thoughts on that in writing or mostly talked about it.

Very little. Just the rare comment about getting a private bill through Congress, and that everyone recognized the bag went missing long before Drisell's term.

4 minutes ago, RWB said:

Very little. Just the rare comment about getting a private bill through Congress, and that everyone recognized the bag went missing long before Drisell's term.

I just find the whole thing fascinating.....tough to sneak out a single coin or even gold droppings at that time and yet somebody was smart enough (lucky) to be able to get an entire bag of 1928 Saints smuggled out.

In the early part of the 2000's I worked for a company who had many government contracts. We could not throw away or reuse any paper that came out of the printer or copier , even if it was blank it had to be kept. Any notes or handwritten paper also had to be kept if it was just scribbles made while trying to make a new cheap pen work. This letter would have gotten the writer fired and the receiver would have been in trouble and watched closely. 

What a different world it was.