• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bust half dollar variety?

12 posts in this topic

I just happen to take a look at the rim of this 1835 bust half when I was re-holdering it and noticed the error:

828900-durim.JPG

828898-May30%5E56.JPG

It appears that H was punched over the R,but it's hard to tell.

I don't have Overton's book,so perhaps one of you bust half nuts could clue me in.

Thanks,

Hayden

Happens often. Very few collectors pay extra for edge varieties and this one will not command a premium. Since the slab era many of us don't even get a peak at the edges any longer.

Howdy Hayden -

The Overton edge variety is E7. ANACS will list on their holder insert the Overton die marriage variety plus the edge variety if you specify them.

Hoot

I don't get it. So it is supposed to say O Ralf? O Half?

As I said it looks like the H is over the R.

Thanks for the info Hoot,it seems like a neat find to me so I'll probably keep it raw.You all just don't know what you're missing,this will go with my AT kennedy and the 1987-D rotated MM. yay.gif

-Hayden

PS I almost forgot the "full dump" barber quarter! 27_laughing.gif

These coins were meant to say "FIFTY CENTS OR HALF A DOLLAR" all around the rim in evenly spaced lettering.

An instrument called a Castaing machine was used to impart the edge lettering prior to the advent of the familiar reeded edge. To use a Castaing machine the coin was placed flat, and on a flat surface, between a pair of steel die with each die having raised lettering. One steel die was in a fixed position while the other could be moved via a cranked handle gear assembly. Each die in a pair contained one-half of the intended phrase in negative. In other words, one had "FIFTY CENTS OR" and the other had "HALF A DOLLAR" in negative so that they would show up in the proper orientation once impressed into the edge of a coin.

Once the coin was in place and the steel die aligned along the edge the machine was hand cranked. The cranking allowed the movable die to move in relation to the fixed die. The coin, laying flat in between the die pair, would "roll" across the flat surface with each die grabbing hold of the edge and imparting the phrase. As the operation was finished there was a small hole in the base of the Castaing machine table where the edge impressed coin would fall through.

This process not only finished the edges with a phrase or design ornamentation, but it also discouraged the common practice of shaving precious metal off the edges. Lastly, the force used raised the rims slightly to protect the design.

These coins were meant to say "FIFTY CENTS OR HALF A DOLLAR" all around the rim in evenly spaced lettering.

An instrument called a Castaing machine was used to impart the edge lettering prior to the advent of the familiar reeded edge. To use a Castaing machine the coin was placed flat, and on a flat surface, between a pair of steel die with each die having raised lettering. One steel die was in a fixed position while the other could be moved via a cranked handle gear assembly. Each die in a pair contained one-half of the intended phrase in negative. In other words, one had "FIFTY CENTS OR" and the other had "HALF A DOLLAR" in negative so that they would show up in the proper orientation once impressed into the edge of a coin.

Once the coin was in place and the steel die aligned along the edge the machine was hand cranked. The cranking allowed the movable die to move in relation to the fixed die. The coin, laying flat in between the die pair, would "roll" across the flat surface with each die grabbing hold of the edge and imparting the phrase. As the operation was finished there was a small hole in the base of the Castaing machine table where the edge impressed coin would fall through.

This process not only finished the edges with a phrase or design ornamentation, but it also discouraged the common practice of shaving precious metal off the edges. Lastly, the force used raised the rims slightly to protect the design.

That sure is a lot of technical information, but you are so right. cool.gif

I see! thanks for the explanation. I knew it wasn't supposed to say "O Ralf" but couldn't figure out what it was supposed to say.

Thanks! headbang.gif

I see! thanks for the explanation. I knew it wasn't supposed to say "O Ralf" but couldn't figure out what it was supposed to say.

Thanks! headbang.gif

Oh,I see what you had meant.I thought you were just joking,sorry blush.gif