• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LIBERTY HEAD $2.50 1857-O its actually worth grading?

4 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have this coin from my grandparents, also had other several coins ( mainly 20$ gold coins) , but kept this one as the price offered by local gold buyers was always low (few hundreds).. it's difficult for me to grade this coin in the country where I live.. I still wonder if it's actually worth to get it graded ( maybe in a travel to US or Europe-Spain or Italy) or just keep it stored as a family object.. as you guys members of this community surely knows far more than I do, I would appreciate any recommendation.

1587-O-BACK.jpg

1587-O-FRONT.jpg

its worth getting graded, (1) just for authentication purposes, (2) a subtle difference of 1-2 grade points can make a significant increase in value as well....

Welcome to the forum, if you plan to keep the coin as a family heirloom then there is no real need to spend the money to have it graded.   However if you are thinking that someday you might sell the coin then having it authenticated and graded may make the process of selling easier.   It is a slightly better date piece but in that condition the price it will sell for is going to be determined by the spot value of gold to some extent.