• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Two new books available for searching on NNP. Pre-publication.
1 1

28 posts in this topic

I have been asked about the contents of the books. I'm willing to post chapter titles and summaries, but I'm a little uncomfortable about it looking like a sales pitch, rather than providing a source of information. (With something mentioned by the author is there any difference?) Opinions on this would be appreciated. Thanks!

Just now, RWB said:

I have been asked about the contents of the books. I'm willing to post chapter titles and summaries, but I'm a little uncomfortable about it looking like a sales pitch, rather than providing a source of information. (With something mentioned by the author is there any difference?) Opinions on this would be appreciated. Thanks!

As with the SAINTS thread, if there is interest and you are providing information via back-and-forth posts, I think this community is that much better for it.

Even if you benefit from any incidental sales of the books -- something you said was NOT the case with the SAINTS book -- I don't see a problem with that unless every other post you do has a link to Amazon or Wizard or the publisher.

We SHOULD support other posters here who are publishers and/or authors.  If someone has a book or article or piece of research, I want our community to be aware of it.

JMHO.

There would be no links or purchases. Anything like that would be on the sales message board.

Yes, I have no difficulty discussing any of the topics with members, much as with the Saint-Gaudens book.

PS: I receive nothing from retail sales of the books.

Edited by RWB

41 minutes ago, RWB said:

There would be no links or purchases. Anything like that would be on the sales message board.  Yes, I have no difficulty discussing any of the topics with members, much as with the Saint-Gaudens book. PS: I receive nothing from retail sales of the books. 

I see no ethical problem here, TOS problem, or anything similar.  Go for it !

Let's see how much interest is in them.  

10 hours ago, Conder101 said:

The listing of what is in Fads, Fakes, and Foibles seem very similar to the contents of the last issue of JNR.  Is this an expansion of that material or are there additional sections as well?

Both. The last JNR was only available digitally, and very few were purchased....it's basically a dead issue.

1 hour ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

I hit the SAUDI book link but couldn't bring up anything on the 1928 double eagles.  Even an excerpt.

I don't know how NNP has structured their search parameters. The full book text is available for searching.

19 minutes ago, RWB said:

I don't know how NNP has structured their search parameters. The full book text is available for searching.

The portal blows...it's hit-or-miss.  I'll keep trying.  I keep getting Greg Weinman's 1933 talk with the word "stolen" highlighted. 

The attacks on poor Israel Switt continue......xD

On 3/18/2021 at 11:52 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

As with the SAINTS 

We SHOULD support other posters here who are publishers and/or authors.  If someone has a book or article or piece of research, I want our community to be aware of it.

I agree.

OK. Here goes. Each book includes copious footnotes and bibliographies. Several chapters completely dispel existing stories about several pattern and experimental pieces, or provide much greater depth of information than previously known.

Fads, Fakes & Foibles – Contents Summary

Introductory Remarks

Dr. Barclay’s Experimental Coinage ~ 1832-1876

James T. Barclay’s experiments at the Philadelphia Mint are mentioned in many coin collectors’ books but rarely explained. Who was this enigmatic experimenter and what did he accomplish?

Donuts to Dollars ~ 1849-1854

An excess of California gold and a shortage of silver encouraged America’s annular gold dollar and half-dollar patterns.

Examination of Counterfeit or Debased Coins ~ 1860

by Jacob R. Eckfeldt, William E. Dubois and James B. Longacre

During and after Dr. Barclay’s experiments at the Philadelphia Mint, it was claimed his ideas were not original and had no influence on Mint experiments. Yet his exposition of problems with adulterated coinage evidently inspired internal examination.

Ring Around the Dollar – A Device to Reduce Abrasion ~ 1867

Ignatius Sargent and J. S. Getchell assured the mint director that a metal ring would protect gold and silver coins from abrasion. After all, it worked for wood buttons.

Wharton’s Folly ~ 1864-1870

The Civil War era economy required an unusual decision for United States coinage: should small change be made of high value precious metal, or nearly worthless base alloy?

Prevention of A Fraud Upon Our Gold Coins ~ 1873

by William E. Dubois

The Philadelphia Mint claimed that Barclay's ideas were not original and had no influence on Mint-conducted experiments. The following short report, prepared by assayer William E. Dubois and presented in full, suggests that there was a certain amount of parallel, or possibly “inspired” investigation, into

prevention of gold coin adulteration.

International Coinage ~ 1865-1868

From the 1860s through the 1880s, multiple international conferences were held with the goal of rationalizing financial exchanges. This short article introduces coin collectors to the purposes for and outcomes of the discussions.

The Holey Money of Hall and Johnson ~ 1866-1885

Could cutting holes in small denomination coins help alleviate financial inconvenience and loss for a much of the working population?

Bickford-Dunning Gold Exchange Coin ~ 1874-1877

Recent research proves that most of the design and promotion of Dana Bickford’s International $10 pattern coin was performed by New York resident George F. Dunning.

Louis Garnett, Wheeler Hubbell, and the Goloid Fiasco ~ 1878-1882

Goloid and metric coinage alloy patterns are among the most popular and common of all pieces struck as proposed coinage. The entire episode was expensive, disruptive, wasteful and useless.

The Cometallic Money Plan ~ 1885-1886

Nicholas Veeder was convinced his cometallic money plan would make the word a financial utopia. Few others were similarly persuaded.

Saudi Gold and other tales from the Mint– Contents Summary

Introductory Remarks

Chapter 1 – Crowns of Gold, Feet of Clay

America was officially on a “gold standard” from 1900 to 1974 although its practical beginning was in 1834. Through political, economic and social changes gold seemed to be the basis of financial stability –– until one day the luster peeled off.

Chapter 2 –When A Dollar Is A Dollar

During World War I, the United States learned that its economy could function very well without gold coins in circulation. Gradually gold was consolidated into national vaults. With nationalization of gold and silver every dollar became identical with every other dollar.

Chapter 3 – Between the Wars to End All Wars

While America stood aside in world events during the “Roaring Twenties,” Presidents Harding, Coolidge and Hoover cut domestic budgets and discouraged capital investment in minting technology. The three great U.S. Mints stagnated in neglect and ineptitude until appointment of Nellie Ross as Director of the Mint in1933.

Chapter 4 – Missing 1928 Double Eagles

A bag of 1928 double eagles was missing from the Philadelphia Mint. The Secret Service investigated down to the dust on remaining coin bags but came up empty handed.

Chapter 5 – American Gold After Nationalization

Hoarding of money by frightened citizens contributed to the Great Depression, but others sought to gain advantage from the situation, and some fortunate few found themselves owners of newfound treasures.

Chapter 6 – Coin Collecting During the Depression

Shortage of cash did not deter people from engaging in hobbies and other inexpensive diversions. Coin collecting experienced a resurgence fueled by commemorative half dollars, inexpensive coin folders, and the prospect of finding a valuable coin in pocket change.

Chapter 7 – Treasury’s Wartime Secrets

World War II was waged on many fronts and by every part of the United States government and people. Some of the war made headlines, some was out of public attention, and some was known only to a few.

Chapter 8 – Gold Discs for the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia

The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia controlled vast petroleum reserves, but the United States was more interested in access to a strategic staging point to support a potential invasion of Japan. Gold bullion discs were part of the American plan.

Chapter 9 – Franklin D. Roosevelt Dime

FDR was the only President many Americans had known. He was also the most dynamic since his cousin Theodore held the same office. His sudden death only a month before victory in Europe shocked the nation and world.

Chapter 10 – An American Original

America has long had a fascination for the quirky yet practical genius of Benjamin Franklin. He was never elected to office yet remains better known than most of the prominent men who became political leaders.

Bibliography

Edited by RWB
Fix Formatting - as usual

6 minutes ago, RWB said:

I've asked the NNP folks for help.

Are you able to bring up anything on the chapter on the 1928 DE's ?  I can't...I keep getting Weiman's 1933 Saints PA talk.  Like they're sticking it in my side. xD

Edited by GoldFinger1969

Regarding the theft of the bag of the 1928 gold dollar.  If the government is still interested in recovering them, they will get the inside story on someone's deathbed likely inadvertently from an aged female patient, via a spontaneous declaration, who was told: DO NOT SPEND THEM, and, KEEP YOUR MOUTH(S) SHUT!   I experienced that dream  last nite and was left with the impression they were buried, hopefully, with instructions to their last location.

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Wrong date corrected.

18 hours ago, RWB said:

OK. Here goes. Each book includes copious footnotes and bibliographies. Several chapters completely dispel existing stories about several pattern and experimental pieces, or provide much greater depth of information than previously known.

Fads, Fakes & Foibles – Contents Summary

Introductory Remarks

Dr. Barclay’s Experimental Coinage ~ 1832-1876

James T. Barclay’s experiments at the Philadelphia Mint are mentioned in many coin collectors’ books but rarely explained. Who was this enigmatic experimenter and what did he accomplish?

Donuts to Dollars ~ 1849-1854

An excess of California gold and a shortage of silver encouraged America’s annular gold dollar and half-dollar patterns.

Examination of Counterfeit or Debased Coins ~ 1860

by Jacob R. Eckfeldt, William E. Dubois and James B. Longacre

During and after Dr. Barclay’s experiments at the Philadelphia Mint, it was claimed his ideas were not original and had no influence on Mint experiments. Yet his exposition of problems with adulterated coinage evidently inspired internal examination.

Ring Around the Dollar – A Device to Reduce Abrasion ~ 1867

Ignatius Sargent and J. S. Getchell assured the mint director that a metal ring would protect gold and silver coins from abrasion. After all, it worked for wood buttons.

Wharton’s Folly ~ 1864-1870

The Civil War era economy required an unusual decision for United States coinage: should small change be made of high value precious metal, or nearly worthless base alloy?

Prevention of A Fraud Upon Our Gold Coins ~ 1873

by William E. Dubois

The Philadelphia Mint claimed that Barclay's ideas were not original and had no influence on Mint-conducted experiments. The following short report, prepared by assayer William E. Dubois and presented in full, suggests that there was a certain amount of parallel, or possibly “inspired” investigation, into

prevention of gold coin adulteration.

International Coinage ~ 1865-1868

From the 1860s through the 1880s, multiple international conferences were held with the goal of rationalizing financial exchanges. This short article introduces coin collectors to the purposes for and outcomes of the discussions.

The Holey Money of Hall and Johnson ~ 1866-1885

Could cutting holes in small denomination coins help alleviate financial inconvenience and loss for a much of the working population?

Bickford-Dunning Gold Exchange Coin ~ 1874-1877

Recent research proves that most of the design and promotion of Dana Bickford’s International $10 pattern coin was performed by New York resident George F. Dunning.

Louis Garnett, Wheeler Hubbell, and the Goloid Fiasco ~ 1878-1882

Goloid and metric coinage alloy patterns are among the most popular and common of all pieces struck as proposed coinage. The entire episode was expensive, disruptive, wasteful and useless.

The Cometallic Money Plan ~ 1885-1886

Nicholas Veeder was convinced his cometallic money plan would make the word a financial utopia. Few others were similarly persuaded.

Saudi Gold and other tales from the Mint– Contents Summary

Introductory Remarks

Chapter 1 – Crowns of Gold, Feet of Clay

America was officially on a “gold standard” from 1900 to 1974 although its practical beginning was in 1834. Through political, economic and social changes gold seemed to be the basis of financial stability –– until one day the luster peeled off.

Chapter 2 –When A Dollar Is A Dollar

During World War I, the United States learned that its economy could function very well without gold coins in circulation. Gradually gold was consolidated into national vaults. With nationalization of gold and silver every dollar became identical with every other dollar.

Chapter 3 – Between the Wars to End All Wars

While America stood aside in world events during the “Roaring Twenties,” Presidents Harding, Coolidge and Hoover cut domestic budgets and discouraged capital investment in minting technology. The three great U.S. Mints stagnated in neglect and ineptitude until appointment of Nellie Ross as Director of the Mint in1933.

Chapter 4 – Missing 1928 Double Eagles

A bag of 1928 double eagles was missing from the Philadelphia Mint. The Secret Service investigated down to the dust on remaining coin bags but came up empty handed.

Chapter 5 – American Gold After Nationalization

Hoarding of money by frightened citizens contributed to the Great Depression, but others sought to gain advantage from the situation, and some fortunate few found themselves owners of newfound treasures.

Chapter 6 – Coin Collecting During the Depression

Shortage of cash did not deter people from engaging in hobbies and other inexpensive diversions. Coin collecting experienced a resurgence fueled by commemorative half dollars, inexpensive coin folders, and the prospect of finding a valuable coin in pocket change.

Chapter 7 – Treasury’s Wartime Secrets

World War II was waged on many fronts and by every part of the United States government and people. Some of the war made headlines, some was out of public attention, and some was known only to a few.

Chapter 8 – Gold Discs for the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia

The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia controlled vast petroleum reserves, but the United States was more interested in access to a strategic staging point to support a potential invasion of Japan. Gold bullion discs were part of the American plan.

Chapter 9 – Franklin D. Roosevelt Dime

FDR was the only President many Americans had known. He was also the most dynamic since his cousin Theodore held the same office. His sudden death only a month before victory in Europe shocked the nation and world.

Chapter 10 – An American Original

America has long had a fascination for the quirky yet practical genius of Benjamin Franklin. He was never elected to office yet remains better known than most of the prominent men who became political leaders.

Bibliography

Thanks for the content summary Roger -- convinced me to pick up a copy of the Saudi book. I still have others to read before it ( two of them are yours0, but he content sounds very interesting and well rounded.

1 hour ago, Zebo said:

content sounds very interesting and well rounded.

"Well rounded" -- yes, I guess it is....it is a book about coins.

No one has asked why one book has chapters and the other does not. The reason is that the chapter book holds together best when read in sequence. The other book is episodic and can be enjoyed in almost any order, although chronological might be better.

2 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Regarding the theft of the bag of the 1928 gold dollar.  If the government is still interested in recovering them, they will get the inside story on someone's deathbed likely inadvertently from an aged female patient, via a spontaneous declaration, who was told: DO NOT SPEND THEM, and, KEEP YOUR MOUTH(S) SHUT!   I experienced that dream  last nite and was left with the impression they were buried, hopefully, with instructions to their last location.

For me, the theft of the 1928 Double Eagles is not only amazing in the amount of coins stolen -- considering how tight security was back then -- but also the tie-in to the 1933's.  

I personally also think that the theft of the 1928's "ticked off" the Mint and Secret Service folks to the extent that that is why they had such a hard-on for the so-called "thefts" of the 1933's.  They ratcheted up their war for the 1933's just at the time they were also lobbying to get personal liability for the stolen 1928's removed via legislation.

Roger wrote a great piece on the 1928 theft for the Heritage site.  I also have it in my 2012 FUN Duckor catalog.

The Superintendent's liability was technical because he accepted the content of sealed vaults and cages. The real fault was by the Settlement Committee that failed to notice the missing bag, and then certified the contents as correct.

18 minutes ago, RWB said:

The Superintendent's liability was technical because he accepted the content of sealed vaults and cages. The real fault was by the Settlement Committee that failed to notice the missing bag, and then certified the contents as correct.

I guess the Super had no choice, unless he wanted another count done as he took his position at the Mint and that could take weeks (months ?) as I understand it.  It was probably a formality to accept the numbers in the past, there were probably checks and re-checks and thus the math was probably always solid. 

Obviously, in this case, it wasn't.

I've never worked as a cashier, but as I understand it (and have been caught at the checkout line xD ), when a new cashier comes on they count the money at that time before doing the switch.

What's also interesting is that the bag was the last year that you could hope to sell 250 of the DE's.  If it was 1929 or later, that quantity would have stood out both then and in subsequent years.  But there are so many 1928's today that 250 more doesn't register.

36 minutes ago, RWB said:

Thanks Roger....thumbnails (of NN) show up, but you can't click-on them to enlarge as it says NOT AVAILABLE AT THIS TIME.  It's still restricted, as your link says. 

2 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Thanks Roger....thumbnails (of NN) show up, but you can't click-on them to enlarge as it says NOT AVAILABLE AT THIS TIME.  It's still restricted, as your link says. 

Well, I thought there would be snippets of information -- maybe a paragraph or something like that....enough to tell the user that more than just the specific word was present, but not enough to "give away" the story. To me, looking up the word "Goldilocks" and finding that word in a book is almost useless. Goldilocks could relate to a hair dresser, a wig maker, a baker of bagels topped with yellow-fin tuna, or possibly an arrest for breaking and entering, or consuming porridge without a license....?

Edited by RWB

23 minutes ago, RWB said:

Well, I thought there would be snippets of information -- maybe a paragraph or something like that....enough to tell the user that more than just the specific word was present, but not enough to "give away" the story. To me, looking up the word "Goldilocks" and finding that word in a book is almost useless. Goldilocks could relate to a hair dresser, a wig maker, a baker of bagels topped with yellow-fin tuna, or possibly an arrest for breaking and entering, or consuming porridge without a license....?

I'm probably going to buy the book anyway, so don't worry.  If it's available -- or parts thereof -- on NNP, I'll keep scanning.  If not, there's the book.

Do you know if the stolen 1928's are still an open file with the Secret Service/Treasury/Mint ?

17 minutes ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Do you know if the stolen 1928's are still an open file with the Secret Service/Treasury/Mint ?

That officially closed when Congress passed the private bill in 1946. In practice it was probably open for reference into the 1950s, or even to 2011's trial.