• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with condition grading
1 1

8 posts in this topic

I have been reading about different conditions, and how to determine which one a coin is.

However, I still have trouble fully understanding it, as most guides(that I read) online have very low res/quality pictures for comparison.

1965 Nickel with Elisabeth; is it XF or VF? what should I look at when trying to determine that?

1947 Nickel with George 5th VG or F? Same goes for this one.

Any help is appreciated, and hopefully one day I will be able to understand all the numbers that follow the grades as well.

WIN_20210311_21_46_56_Pro.jpg

WIN_20210311_21_47_18_Pro.jpg

WIN_20210311_21_47_55_Pro.jpg

I was raised on the Red Book and am familiar generally with United States coins.  Recently, I began a collection of a specific line of French coins -- which came along with their own special catalog, roughly translated as, Table of conversion states corresponding to grading standards (used by six different countries: France, USA, England, Germany, Italy and Spain) covering a range of grades.

I would imagine Canada has it's own version -- and none are applicable to ancient coins which are graded according to their own scales.

I am certain if you are patient, someone reading your query will be happy to direct you to the post that will provide you with the helpful answers you seek.

1 hour ago, Chickenswoup said:

So, from what I understand, each country has its own grading system? Is there a universal one?

Apparently not.  If there were, we wouldn't have half a dozen TPGS, offering disparate opinions, in just the United States alone.

1 hour ago, Chickenswoup said:

So, from what I understand, each country has its own grading system? Is there a universal one?

Yes; no. The RCNA standards differ from ANA standards. As I understand them, the RCNA standards reject eye appeal and emphasize technical stuff (e.g. the ermine tails have full details, etc.). They do however use the same grade categories as the ANA. A Canadian friend brought me her mom's coins to evaluate, and I had to keep reminding myself that it was not necessary to include the country name except for the US coins. I also had to keep my Charlton book handy, because as a Canadian collection remaining in Canada, the RCNA standards were the most logical ones to apply.

In other countries, they do it their own ways. A Swedish friend brought me some of his country's coins as a gift, and the one he was proudest of was a 1+. I had to look up to find that our rough equivalent was VF.

As for your nickels, my guess on the 1965 (small beads) would be EF-40. I'd grade the 1947 (no dot, no maple leaf) F-VF details, damaged. Charlton, by the way, is a butt-kicking guide with great blowups to show varieties. A definite incentive to interest in Canadian numismatics.

As long as the OP understands and accepts "opinions" rendered by various numismatic authorities -- more particularly on the highest grades, we are all on the same page.  This should pose no problem on common, circulated coinage irrespective of country of origin.