• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie Question Regarding Varieties

6 posts in this topic

I hope I am not embarrassing myself, but I continue to see many references to coin varieties.  For instance, I have been reading about Indian Head cents and I see reference to Snow varieties, Poliquin varieties, etc. and I was wondering if there is a reference database (on-line or in print) which defines and describes these varieties.

Thanks for any and all guidance.

Cal in Texas

In print yes.  Dealing with Indian head cents you are talking about Snow varieties.  The standard reference was written by Rick Snow (hence Snow varieties).  The title is The Flying Eagle & Indian Cent Attribution Guide.  It's two volumes and Rick sells it on his website.  Right now it's $125 (its discounted right now, regular price is $199)  He also has a digital version that is on sale right now for $50, regular $75.  (Books are not cheap, not if they are good.)

Other series of coins have other books that identify their varieties.  There is no one database or book that lists ALL the varieties.

22 minutes ago, Conder101 said:

In print yes.  Dealing with Indian head cents you are talking about Snow varieties.  The standard reference was written by Rick Snow (hence Snow varieties).  The title is The Flying Eagle & Indian Cent Attribution Guide.  It's two volumes and Rick sells it on his website.  Right now it's $125 (its discounted right now, regular price is $199)  He also has a digital version that is on sale right now for $50, regular $75.  (Books are not cheap, not if they are good.)

Other series of coins have other books that identify their varieties.  There is no one database or book that lists ALL the varieties.

Excellent information.  Thanks very much!  I am on my way to Rick's website.

u can always go to the NGC Variety Plus listing....its free....gives u the major varieties that r recognized by NGC on both US n foreign coins...