• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where can I go to determine the value of an El Cazador coin?

5 posts in this topic

I understand that these kinds of coins come in different Reales, but how am I supposed to determine what my coins are worth? All it says on the certifications are "genuine" and doesn't mention any grade. What are the values of these coins? Thanks.

You're probably not going to find values for your coins in a price guide. Searching completed auctions for Prices Realized is probably going to be your best bet. EBay, Great Collections, and Heritage auctions are the most likely places. Make sure you only search actual sold items to get your averages. A coin listed as a "buy-it-now" that has been sitting for months unsold will only give you the price that a seller is hoping to get, not what the coin is actually worth.

If it has the word "genuine" then chances are there is also a "Details" also correct ? If so the TPGs will not give it a grade regarding of the quality of coin due to the fact that's it's been cleaned, enhanced, thumbed...etc. If you have a idea what the grade may be roughly and with a genuine/details label you can reduce the value to 50% or less...trust me on that...got burned a few times myself and people avoid them like the plague which is a shame because some are still nice coins overall.

Edited by EdG_Ohio

27 minutes ago, EdG_Ohio said:

If it has the word "genuine" then chances are there is also a "Details" also correct ? If so the TPGs will not give it a grade regarding of the quality of coin due to the fact that's it's been cleaned, enhanced, thumbed...etc. 

These coins are from the El Cazador shipwreck. The lack of numerical grade comes from over 200 years of exposure to seawater.

9 hours ago, Just Bob said:

These coins are from the El Cazador shipwreck. The lack of numerical grade comes from over 200 years of exposure to seawater.

Thanks for info, Lately when I see the word "Genuine" my eyes glaze over and my mind immediately goes to Details mode due to unfortunate past experiences. LOL