• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sealed American Eagle tube grading

4 posts in this topic

Hello all, this is my first post so please correct me if I don't do this properly.

I recently purchased a sealed (qty. 20) tube of 2020 (S) American Silver Eagle NGC GEM BU (Roll of 20) (ER) (EP), NGC #6082831-041-060.

I would like to know if I can submit these for grading and retain their identification and verification on the individual holder label. In addition, would there be a benefit to having this tube opened and each graded? The tube cost me $1099, then add the cost of holder, label, and grading each coin.

Thanks for any feedback, Rick

They are graded, the coins were given an adjectival grade. In your case Gem Uncirculated, meaning that they would grade between 65-70.

I wouldn't have the individual coins graded. Not sure what your end goal is but you can buy the individual coins graded MS70 ER "Emergency Production" for $70 online, it would cost you more than that to have your coins graded individually. I believe the EP info on the label would travel if you had the coins graded individually, not sure about the ER but I would think so.

Well the regrading to get them into individual holders will cost around $700.  Add that to the $1099 you already have in them and you end up with having just about $90 apiece in them.  NGC MS 70's can be purchased on ebay right now for in the $55 to $70 ranges.  So even if they ALL came back as MS-70 you would still lose $20 to $35 per coin.  If any came back in a lower grade you would lose even more.  Frankly you are already in the hole as you can buy a roll of 2020 silver eagles right now for $732.