• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whitman June 2021 show in Baltimore canceled
1 1

35 posts in this topic

54 minutes ago, RWB said:

Looked at a couple of the shows. Same old spiel, same old con. Seriously doubt these people bring anyone into coin collecting as a hobby. Once a buyer realizes they've been "taken" any slight hobby interest will vanish.

Well, they might see the infomercials.....dislike the price...and do a little research.  Ya Never Know !!  xD

The information on the "European Bank Hoard" is a bit oversimplified but still might hook potential collectors.

10 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Hey, I don't LIKE the prices but if someone who is totally unfamiliar with our little hobby gets exposed to it by paying a 1-time exorbitant price, they'll make it back in spades.

Odds are much greater that they’ll lose more, not “make it back in spades”. 

29 minutes ago, MarkFeld said:

Odds are much greater that they’ll lose more, not “make it back in spades”. 

I meant in terms of enjoyment and learning about coins, history, etc. 

But if they are smart, they'll do some DD and learn and maybe even make some nice well-timed purchases.  I've seen it happen alot in my field of investing and money management where someone ends up paying high fees (or mutual fund "loads")....gets tired of it....and does their own DD and becomes a successful investor. xD

On 2/19/2021 at 11:55 AM, Coinbuf said:

lol  A completely different topic, and the type of opinion that made you very unpopular with the management ats if I recall correctly.

[I never thought I would see the day a member, presumably a seasoned veteran who vows repeatedly he will never be a slave to a brand, launch a rocket grenade launcher at our beloved resident scholar, RWB. In fact, it smacks of anti-Americanism. Are not each of us entitled to express our opinions freely?  And what points do you seek to score with your unauthorized disclosures of alleged activities elsewhere?  "He that is sin among you, let him first cast a stone..."

On 2/20/2021 at 8:18 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I meant in terms of enjoyment and learning about coins, history, etc. 

But if they are smart, they'll do some DD and learn and maybe even make some nice well-timed purchases.  I've seen it happen alot in my field of investing and money management where someone ends up paying high fees (or mutual fund "loads")....gets tired of it....and does their own DD and becomes a successful investor. xD

Pretty optimistic take for a message board with quite a few serious numismatists on it, many of which treat grading as something they have to leave to some sort of Shaman who work for alphabet soup firms. Grading is not some “black art” you know. Both the technical and the market variety can be learned, and learned well, but no, not on the Internet. You have to go, see, evaluate, compare. In your hand, in three dimensions, with proper light, not some jabronie’s phone snapshot.