• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Matthew Boulton Correspondence - Updated NNP Materials

14 posts in this topic

A few weeks ago there was conversation regarding Matthew Boulton. I referred folks to the Entry 2 "Boulton Correspondence" digitized on NNP. In looking through the files I noticed that available images were difficult to read. I downloaded the image files and am making adjustments to provide images that are easier to read. The sample below shows the original image (left) and the cropped and enhanced image (right). The resolution is identical, so we're stuck with the fuzz and ambiguity. At present I've enhanced folders 1-4 and sent PDFs to NNP for their use. The last two folders should be finished Wednesday.

BookReaderImages Folder 5.jpg

Edited by RWB

The original (at left) is a good example of what not to do when photographing documents. The photographer wasted fully 85% of available image resolution by placing the page across the image frame and then using only half of the frame width. The correct procedure is to rotate the original so it matches the camera frame orientation, then get close enough to fill the frame with the original. Depending on proportions of the original, that means extending the image almost to either the horizontal or vertical frame edge. (Note: Most cameras show only about 95% of the frame in the viewfinder. This allows for differences in eye orientation/viewing angle.)

Your edits certainty made things a bit easier to see. The original images were entirely too small to discern any useful details. Thank you for taking the time to edit the images. When do you think the updated files will be available at NNP? I want to download your enhanced files to replace the older version. 

8 minutes ago, Robin22 said:

how interesting it is. I love history . I also love to write. 

Drop me a note if you are critical about grammar, editing, etc., and like numismatic history. Can always use another set of eyes on the next book.