• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1855 type 2 dollar

9 posts in this topic

I had a question about the strike on this coin. I read on the NGC page that the strike on this coin is very weak. Overall I don’t think this coin looks too bad overall but the 8 is really bad. That would significantly affect the value right? Even with the 8 and the two LLs usually being the weakest features on the coin. Anyway I just wanted to know what more experienced members thought about this. I really like the coin and don’t plan on selling it especially after reading the history behind it on the NGC page. Thanks for your time.

03E50AEC-AEF0-4195-8F69-F00F075706DE.jpeg

F335144B-FB35-4F8D-8DF1-200BF44A0349.jpeg

If you look closely you'll see that the reverse has the outline of the obverse portrait due to clashing of the dies. (No planchet between them when they made contact.) From the clash, you can see that the 8 and L fall directly opposite the highest points of the portrait causing there to be insufficient metal to properly fill out the design.

There are similar clash marks from the reverse design on the obverse, too.

Nice example of a desirable type.

Edited by RWB

1 hour ago, Grant Gerlinger said:

RWB Thanks for the information. I think that is really awesome, I wasn’t quite sure what I was seeing on the coin but it makes sense now. They say you learn something new everyday.

Most of the 1855 gold dollars with uniform date detail - at least among the ones I've see - have die rotated about 30-degrees. Presumably, this brings the reverse central inscriptions opposite lower relief portions of the obverse.

20 minutes ago, RWB said:

Most of the 1855 gold dollars with uniform date detail - at least among the ones I've see - have die rotated about 30-degrees. Presumably, this brings the reverse central inscriptions opposite lower relief portions of the obverse.

That is really interesting. I knew from reading about them they had lots of issues minting this coin. Because of this they changed to the type 3 version. The coin is also incredibly small, I couldn’t imagine having those in my pocket back then, I would probably lose it. I believe the type 1 dollar is even smaller than the type 2. 

Type 2 has the greatest diameter. The planchet was simply too thin to allow the relief to be brought up over the entire coin. Type 3 is intermediate in diameter and die relief is lightly lower - but still not enough to produce uniformly detailed coins.

On 2/7/2021 at 5:42 PM, RWB said:

Type 3 is intermediate in diameter and die relief is lightly lower - but still not enough to produce uniformly detailed coins.

Diameter of the type 3 is the same as the type 2, but the head is larger and as you say in lower relief.

2 hours ago, Conder101 said:

Diameter of the type 3 is the same as the type 2, but the head is larger and as you say in lower relief.

Thanks for the correction.... ;)