• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sealed Rolls of Silver Eagles

19 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, ldhall said:

Is it wise to break sealed roll to have coins individually graded or does the sealed roll retain more value ?

What IS a sealed roll? Sealed by whom? Sounds like an aftermarket package to me.

The roll is already certified by NGC so if it were mine, I would leave it like it is. The coins in that roll are most likely no different from a regular mint tube. Its just been certified. 

On 2/6/2021 at 7:21 PM, Lem E said:

The roll is already certified by NGC so if it were mine, I would leave it like it is. The coins in that roll are most likely no different from a regular mint tube. Its just been certified. 

This is correct. There is no reason to believe the coins inside are in any way extraordinary. 

On 2/6/2021 at 8:21 PM, Lem E said:

Thanx so much , I will take your advice. The seller actually said that NGC removes 70's before certifying ? Therefore there are only 69's and 68's at best ? Thanx again

2 minutes ago, ldhall said:

Thanx so much , I will take your advice. The seller actually said that NGC removes 70's before certifying ? Therefore there are only 69's and 68's at best ? Thanx again

How can I verify the certification number on label and what does (261-280) mean ? Sequence # ? 1800829188_Q1XmDKRQ4anFbUQAd0XMA.thumb.jpg.a41ded9eb9eeeb26567bc0d533979d1f.jpg

2 hours ago, EdG_Ohio said:

You either download the NGC app or follow the link and do it manually. Manually you'll need the grade also which in this case is MS 67. Just change the last 3 digits as you verify each number.

https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/

How did you know in this case MS 67 ?

55 minutes ago, ldhall said:

How did you know in this case MS 67 ?

I scanned the barcode and that's the # that came up for -261 ....others thereafter may be a different grade possibly.

On 2/8/2021 at 2:01 PM, ldhall said:

[Probably the most disheartening thing I've read this year.]

So essentially, (if it is true what the seller is saying) this is a fancy, searched, customer wrapped roll. (NGC being the customer.) I hope the OP did not purchase this as I would assume you are paying a premium over a regular mint tube from a bullion dealer.

If the roll was searched and the 70's removed it would most likely be done by the submitter not NGC.  If the rolls are sealed from the mint inside the green monster boxes (I don't know if they are sealed or not) then NGC would have just sealed them in the tube slab without examining them. (they are straight from the Mint so they are uncirculated and there is no actual grade assigned, Gem Uncirculated.  The 67 on the certificate verification is just so they can be looked up, it doesn't actually relate to the actual grade of the coin because there is no way to relate which coin in the tube relates to which number in the certificate look up.)

From NGC:

"Coins graded MS 69 and lower may be encapsulated in the Certified Roll. All coins must be the same grade, but adjectival grades such as GEM UNCIRCULATED are acceptable if the coins qualify. The Certified Roll is currently available for eligible bulk submissions of American Silver Eagles and Chinese Silver Pandas." 

I'm a little surprised that 67 was assigned to the coins/roll, typically when an adjectival grade is assigned the lowest potential grade is used. In this case 65 would have been the low end of the grade range. Maybe it's different for rolls as opposed to individual coins.

From NGC

"*UNCIRCULATED is often paired with the additional qualifiers of BRILLIANT, CHOICE, or GEM. NGC considers BRILLIANT UNCIRCULATED to be any coins that would grade from 60-70 on the Sheldon Grading Scale. CHOICE UNCIRCULATED is considered to be any coins that would grade from 63 to 70. GEM UNCIRCULATED (sometimes indicated as GEM UNC or GEM BU) is used for coins that would grade from 65 to 70."

More about adjectival grading by NGC here.

https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-grading/grading-scale/adjectival-grades/ 

Aside from some obvious difficulties of sealed rolls, is the problem of feeding the seals. Organic, all natural seals prefer fresh fish, squid and similar foods. However, organic Navy Seals will eat anything. Another difficulty is why rolls? Would not croissants, baguettes, bagels or maybe cinnamon rolls be more worthy of protection than common "rolls?" Also, using Navy Seals would seem to put the rolls in jeopardy. (Is that in the form of a question?)

Well, collectors can decide.

Edited by RWB