• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fifteen Pence 1813 Dump KM#1.3 New South Wales, don't know how to send in NGC

6 posts in this topic

I'm not familiar with that coin but if the condition is VF or better it seems your only option would be the Walk Through tier. Looks like the coin should be MS but don't get to hung up on that, if it's wrong NGC will correct for you (not a big deal). If you post a few pics of the coin some people could give you an opinion on the condition and thereby value. 

Thanks guys that helped. I just measured it and it looks like it has 4.0mm spacing, so its a KM# 1.2. And here are some pictures so u guys can help me check it out for value and check grade. Found this in an old coffee can from grandpa. 

61913784111__641B24B6-98C7-4C3E-AB26-860DC9D1B7DD.JPG

61913785129__5B38B70A-9D2D-4947-AD4F-AF6F20953BCB.JPG

Edited by Jared Buck

"The colony of New South Wales had two periods when its own distinct coinage was minted.

"To overcome a shortage of coins, Governor Lachlan Macquarie took the initiative of using £10,000 in Spanish dollars sent by the British government to produce local coins by punching out their centres and stamping the two resulting pieces with new values: five shillings for the outer rim pieces (now known as "holey dollars"), and fifteen pence for the central plug (now known as a "dump"). Apart from doubling the amount of physical coins in circulation, this also had the effect of making them unsuitable for export, so they stayed in the colony. Of the 40,000 Spanish dollars imported, 39,910 holey dollars and 39,910 dumps were made, with the balance assumed to have been spoiled during the conversion process. On 1 July 1813 Governor Macquarie issued a proclamation "that the said Silver Money shall be a legal Tender" and that set their value. The converted coins went into circulation in 1814. From 1822 the government began to recall the coins and replace them with Imperial sterling coinage. By the time the holey dollar was finally demonetised in 1829, most of the 40,000 coins in circulation had been exchanged for legal tender and melted down into bullion. Experts estimate that only 350 Holey dollars and 1,500 dumps remain."

[https://onlinecoin.club/Coins/Country/New_South_Wales/filter/4/]

Edited by RWB

Well, I didn't expect to see this today! Looking over recent auction archives, I believe your piece likely exceeds the $10,000 cap for the express tier. I imagine you will need to submit this under the “WalkThrough” tier. This will cost $150 +$10 (handling fee) + shipping to and from. That said, if your piece is genuine, it is well worth the ~$200 to get it graded. In so far as the submission form, you need to mark “MS”, not “PF”. I would put a decent declared value on the form as well. In so far as shipping, I would send this USPS registered mail with plenty of insurance (assuming you are in the US). I would genuinely like to see how this process plays out for you, so please follow up once you get it back from NGC.