• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1957-D Franklin MS66 FBL NCS thoughts

10 posts in this topic

Recently acquired a 1957-D that has a mechanical error (missing mint mark on label).

I plan on returning to NGC for free correction.

My question to the community is what are the thoughts on passing this through NCS then re-grade?

1957-D_Franklin_Full_Rev.thumb.jpg.15a79511edac2bfd3e02b1515ec04a03.jpg1957-D_Franklin_Obv_01.thumb.jpg.8f15f3792f498e2c1c501911942bc7d8.jpg1957-D_Franklin_Rev_01.thumb.jpg.6bc6aab3d732c6d9939e4ec2d29c942c.jpg1957-D_Franklin_Full_Obv.thumb.jpg.4f2ae18d77433bfcb0a8690749cfb4e7.jpg

NGC only has a $20 difference between a 1957 MS66 FBL and a 1957-D MS66 FBL, unless you're piggy backing it to another submission it's probably not worth it (monetarily) to have the label corrected and the coin conserved. I tend to agree with flipping it and getting one that's correctly labeled and you can probably get a coin that you're happy with the appearance or one that you don't think needs conservation. Some people like or collect label errors, so you'll probably come out ok. 

NGC will fix the mechanical error fo free. (Awesome)

Now another opinion I’m asking for is after looking at it closely under magnification, it sure appears to be an RPM FS-501...

Thoughts?

WIN_20210206_22_06_57_Pro.jpg

Does the error designation command a significant premium over the standard for this particular coin? I haven’t seen in the thread if this is all being done for higher resale value to sell or if this is just being done to improve the coin for your collection and state fact of possible RPM. 

12 minutes ago, trenier said:

~ 2x premium. 
I am a firm believer to attribute variety and errors when they exist. 
I have an eclectic collection, and normally don’t sell my items. 

I agree with the attribution. If it is there then it is there and should be labeled as such. I would assume a real error/variety on the coin is worth more than a label error. I feel if it is your coin that you like, you can invest as much as you want into it, and if it raises the value of the coin, that is just a bonus.

Edited by Lem E

11 hours ago, trenier said:

NGC will fix the mechanical error fo free. (Awesome)

Now another opinion I’m asking for is after looking at it closely under magnification, it sure appears to be an RPM FS-501...

Thoughts?

WIN_20210206_22_06_57_Pro.jpg

Maybe it is the toning, but I don't see the split in the upper serif.