• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1819 Quarter error

1 post in this topic

Descriptions of errors on US coins are very scarce in archival correspondence. Here is a letter from 1889 and the Philadelphia Mint's response. Notice that the writer - who happens to avoid punctuation - specifically identifies himself as a coin collector.

St. Louis, Mo.

August 10, 1889

Daniel M. Fox, Esq.

Dear Sir:

I have an 1819 quarter the 25¢ on the reverse is struck thus 25  c double 5. Is this simply a slip of the die or was this an authorized strike. I also have an 18X5 quarter which I am told is an overstrike. Was there any overstrike this late?

Can you let me know the record of 1823 and 1827 quarter coined? I have tried to obtain above information from dealers from whom I have bought coins, but have been referred to you. If you will answer above question you will greatly oblige.

Yours truly,

C. Chambers.

Collector of Rare American Coins

Jefferson Avenue & Carr St.

St. Louis, MO.

[Ed. – Reply from Robert McClure, Curator of Mint Cabinet.]

The double 5 on the 25-cent piece of 1819 as described was caused by a slip of the die.

The latest overstrikes were about 1824.

16,450 quarter dollars were coined in 1823, and 4,000 were coined in 1827.

Mc.

18890810 P 5 is doubled on 1819 quarter error_Page_1.jpg

18890810 P 5 is doubled on 1819 quarter error_Page_3.jpg

Edited by RWB