• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1943 P nickel

7 posts in this topic

Now that am starting to collect coins I search all my family members coin jars and I stop at my dad’s and ask him for his coins and he told me he doesn’t have at the moment but I have some on my jewelry box that you maybe like so I saw this one and I took it and did some research online and took it to a local jeweler so He can look for metal content and doesn’t have silver! For my understanding all with a P mark supposed to have 35% silver! How can I send it to have it graded? Please help???

7C80BD3D-17A4-436C-9739-FB07494E4927.jpeg

43C4EB95-4686-432C-86E0-1B0567902CAF.jpeg

It doesn't make sense to send in for grading. It's fun to have, but you could buy a full set of silver wartime nickels for what it would cost to have this one graded.

I know the diver weighs 3 grams I they inspect with some kind of gun and he says it doesn’t have silver! So you think it worth to send to a  lab so I double check!? Because when I drop it with it sounds way thicker than silver! The silver one had much thinner sound!

97091A2A-0815-426D-B8E5-899FD1CD109F.jpeg

I don't know what a diver is, but a part-silver nickel is supposed to weigh 5g. 4.95g seems to reflect the visible wear on yours. I don't think it's worth any special energy or testing at all, except for putting it into a flip for your collection. It looks very clearly whizzed, but the good news is it won't drop below its bullion value, which today is $1.53. I see no reason to think it's not an authentic part-silver war nickel.

I have no idea how this jeweler came to his conclusion that the coin has no silver but I'm highly skeptical of his determination that the coin has no silver content.  I would not advise you to spend the money to have it tested further, but its your money so your decision to do so or not.  I highly doubt that any TPG will slab it as an off metal coin so spending $40 to have it graded and slabbed would not be a smart decision.

RE: "... they inspect with some kind of gun and he says it doesn’t have silver! "

Please find a different jeweler. This one likely does not know how to use his XRF.