• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how do i know if a coin is legit?

9 posts in this topic

Greetings,

I would like to put some small percent of savings into ancient coins.

But how can I be sure they are authentic? I know next to nothing about this industry. Where are the best places to learn?

I have looked at some online stores (I would not trust Ebay for this type of purchase) but they seem to have very scant information.

I was kind of expecting that if I purchased a $1,000.00 coin minted in ancient Greece it would have some kind of document from a historian or something describing where it came from, who used it, how it survived to present day, etc. But I guess that is not how things work?

Thank you

For ancient Greek, Parthian, or Roman Republic coins work with an experienced dealer in these items. Sellers can refer you to multiple sources for historical context and preservation.

Welcome to the forum, I'm sorry that I do not have any dealer recommendations for you but ancients are not an area that I collect.  There are collectors of such material here so hopefully one of them can chime in and provide you with some dealer suggestions as well as some reference suggestions.  Numismatics in general is very self study/self learn intensive, but a good dealer can really help to mentor you in the early stages.  Best of luck with your numismatic journey.

One of the best ways to get referrals to good people in this world is to join a local coin club.

5 hours ago, Conder101 said:

How to know if a coin is legitimate?  Experience, lots and lots of experience.

The only true answer.

Thanks for the responses. I get the feeling I had some very inaccurate assumptions about this industry so I appreciate the advice.

Seems like I might be better off buying new bullion for investment, and old coins as a hobby since there seems to be very high risk. There's no carbon dating I guess for an inanimate object...