• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ATTN: Buffalo Herders

31 posts in this topic

I just spoke with a patient who related the following story:

Said 20 yrs ago his friend found a two-tailed buffalo nickel on the ground in Goldfield, NV. Said it was verified as authentic and valued at $30K.

Any merit to this story? Anyone ever herd of such a thing?

Although many may say that it is impossible due to mechanical limitations of the upper and lower dies, a modern example was authenticated not too long ago.

Sounds like the guy was full of bull. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

FACT

Close! Most probably full of bison!

You've been buffaloed Victor. tongue.gif

I believe the modern two tailed coin (a Washington quarter) was one taken from a hoard of unusual Mint "errors" (concocted) that was largely confiscated by the Secret Service. Around 3 or 4 years ago?

Hoot

Thanks, Hoot. I was waiting for your response. So, do you think that I can get my money back?! crazy.gif

those two headed or two tailed washington quarters tha6t where produced during the night time watch at the us mint back in the 1960's and then secreted out of the mint

they did it by taking both obverse? or reverse? dies and putting in one die into the press and then grinding down the other same obverse or reverse die as the shanks the way they are made prevent such from ever happening at the mint they ground off the shank and put the die in the other please above the anvil die and then struck two geaded or two tailed coins

and then secreted them out of the usa mint

their legality is at best is questionable and are in my opinion illegal to own as they where never monetized by the federal reserve

now if you commit a crime and in your locality for whatever reson the district attirney does not prosecute you this does not make you innocent

and like these same sided wash quarters currently the treasury department in conjunction with the secret service has decided not to pursue the coins

only time will tell what the future holds

submitted with love flowerred.gif

I believe the Washington quarter(s) was/were two-tailed coins. There is also a certified two-headed, if I recall correctly, IHC. I think PCGS certified the IHC and NGC the Washington. I would expect the Washington would be illegal to own.

The buffalo had two tails? Or the coin had two reverse sides? Pretty easy to make. I could just saw two buffalo coins in half and solder the heads together and tails together. I am pretty handy with jeweler's saw and torch. wink.gif

The buffalo had two tails? Or the coin had two reverse sides? Pretty easy to make. I could just saw two buffalo coins in half and solder the heads together and tails together. I am pretty handy with jeweler's saw and torch. wink.gif

Not quite as easy as that! They use a special router for precise cutting of the metal. On one coin, leaving the rim intact, you remove the interior fields and devices (on the reverse, for example) to a specific depth. On the second coin, you remove the entire rim and enough of the reverse fields and devices so that, when inserted into the hollowed-out coin, the thickness will be the same as a normal coin. By leaving the rim intact on the first coin, you can hide any tell-tale signs of alteration. "Liquid Nail" is a good adhesive for bonding the two together.

Chris

PS. It makes me realize, that you should examine very carefully any error coin when an unknown seller claims it is a rotated die.

PS. It makes me realize, that you should examine very carefully any error coin when an unknown seller claims it is a rotated die.

Yes,and the seller would most likely be Chris,himself.

Do any of you wonder how he knows all theses coin doctor tricks?

stooges.gif

27_laughing.gifH 27_laughing.gifA 27_laughing.gifY 27_laughing.gifD 27_laughing.gifE 27_laughing.gifN 27_laughing.gif

Wow!It is fun to do that! wink.gif

stooges.gif

27_laughing.gifH 27_laughing.gifA 27_laughing.gifY 27_laughing.gifD 27_laughing.gifE 27_laughing.gifN 27_laughing.gif

Wow!It is fun to do that! wink.gif SEE, I'M GOOD FOR SOMETHING AFTER ALL!

C'mon, Hayden! Why would I buy all of that equipment yet procrastinate when it comes to buying a decent Digital SLR? Besides, I haven't sold a single coin that I've acquired.

How do I know things like this? I read the Tampa/St. Pete newspapers. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

yay.gifC yay.gifH yay.gifR yay.gifI yay.gifS yay.gif

stooges.gif

C'mon, Hayden! Why would I buy all of that equipment yet procrastinate when it comes to buying a decent Digital SLR? Besides, I haven't sold a single coin that I've acquired. so are you waiting till you've built up a significantly sized inventory to start your eBay business? 27_laughing.gif

How do I know things like this? I read the Tampa/St. Pete newspapers. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Oh, I see how it is now.Gonna fight dirty 893whatthe.gif

I can play along with that! I'll be seeing you at FUN devil.gif

sumo.gifH sumo.gifA sumo.gifY sumo.gifD sumo.gifE sumo.gifN sumo.gif

stooges.gif

C'mon, Hayden! Why would I buy all of that equipment yet procrastinate when it comes to buying a decent Digital SLR? Besides, I haven't sold a single coin that I've acquired. so are you waiting till you've built up a significantly sized inventory to start your eBay business? 27_laughing.gif

NO, I'M GOING TO BUILD A HALF-SCALE MODEL OF THE SUNSHINE SKYWAY USING COINS!

sumo.gifH bumpit.gifsumo.gifA bumpit.gifsumo.gifY bumpit.gifsumo.gifD bumpit.gifsumo.gifE bumpit.gifsumo.gifN sumo.gif

stooges.gif

sumo.gifH bumpit.gifsumo.gifA bumpit.gifsumo.gifY bumpit.gifsumo.gifD bumpit.gifsumo.gifE bumpit.gifsumo.gifN sumo.gif

Now, THAT is funny U*2 !

stooges.gif

Now, THAT is funny U*2 !

I always get a sumo.gifk sumo.gifi sumo.gifc sumo.gifk sumo.gifout of

bumpit.gifH bumpit.gifA bumpit.gifY bumpit.gifD bumpit.gifE bumpit.gifN bumpit.gif

I'm looking forward to meeting him at F.U.N. in January.

stooges.gif

Now, THAT is funny U*2 !

bumpit.gifH bumpit.gifA bumpit.gifY bumpit.gifD bumpit.gifE bumpit.gifN bumpit.gif

Thanks for the kind words,Chris cloud9.gif and I might just see you in Clearwater!

BTW If you're planning to build an accurate model of the Skyway in its current condition with coins,you may wan't to use corroded/rusted steel cents for the pillars 893whatthe.gif

-Hayden

Hayden, I'll get back to you on the bridge. I'm going to do a workup for a support column using my AutoCad.

Chris

stooges.gif

Now, THAT is funny U*2 !

STOP THE WORLD! I want to get off 'cause I'm getting dizzy.......

Get back to work, Victor. Breaks over! But, in your dizzy state, just make sure that you put the patient in the MRI machine and not the clothes dryer.

Chris

Get back to work, Victor. Breaks over! But, in your dizzy state, just make sure that you put the patient in the MRI machine and not the clothes dryer.

Chris

blush.gif

Not bad for a twit with wit! cloud9.gif

Actually, in three minutes, it is quiting time ... One last call for diagnostic imaging y'all... . Oh well, you get the idea.

Hayden, I'll get back to you on the bridge. I'm going to do a workup for a support column using my AutoCad.

Chris

For once I actually don't get your joke confused-smiley-013.gif

Chris

No joke, Hayden. Using AutoCad (computer assisted drafting) I will be able to determine the number of, say, half dollars it will take to build a 6' diameter column approximately 100' high. Of course, these aren't the exact measurements for the Sunshine Skyway bridge, it is just an illustration.

Chris

Chris

No joke, Hayden. Using AutoCad (computer assisted drafting) I will be able to determine the number of, say, half dollars it will take to build a 6' diameter column approximately 100' high. Of course, these aren't the exact measurements for the Sunshine Skyway bridge, it is just an illustration.

Chris

Oh,I see...maybe it would just be better to rent a chopper and fly... 893whatthe.gif

Chris

Chris

Oh,I see...maybe it would just be better to rent a chopper and fly... 893whatthe.gif

That would be an idea. That way I could get an exact measurement. I could have the pilot fly under the bridge. Another passenger could hold the reel of a measuring tape and I could jump out with the end of the tape in my hand. But that would be kind of dangerous because the rotors might hit the underside of the road bed and we could be killed.

Chris

Chris

Chris

That would be an idea. That way I could get an exact measurement. I could have the pilot fly under the bridge. Another passenger could hold the reel of a measuring tape and I could jump out with the end of the tape in my hand. But that would be kind of dangerous because the rotors might hit the underside of the road bed and we could be killed.

Chris

893whatthe.gif

Don't you think that it would be a little dangerous to jump out of a helicopter at that height as well? 893whatthe.gif

Maybe you could just park at the top of the bridge and wait for one of the suicidal cases to jump.You could have him jump with the tape measure.Just make sure you at least give the guy some silk, known as a parachute to Army guys who only work security.

Leg!

stooges.gif

-Hayden

BTW If you're planning to build an accurate model of the Skyway in its current condition with coins,you may wan't to use corroded/rusted steel cents for the pillars 893whatthe.gif

-Hayden

Hayden, I thought I'd use the Irish 10 Pence, KM#23. It has a fish on it.

Chris