• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Odd surface for a bronze Lincoln
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Did some looking around on surface finishes on bronze coins but mainly only found info regarding newer plating issues on ‘83 and newer. Not plate blisters or occluded gas bubbles here because this isn’t a zinc. At first glance I thought I had a 1960 D Large/Small but I don’t think that’s the case. Just curious how a bronze could exhibit this cool looking texture which appears to be mint made. I don’t see any signs of ED because this coin is solid both obverse and reverse. And then the imprint above LIBERTY is very odd. Thanks. 

5264DA17-8D11-41FB-B312-996E14C4D9EA.jpeg

1F945D31-A934-4439-B716-EC5728160FC6.jpeg

90E2908F-6C27-41B5-8739-7427A96F193E.jpeg

B228076F-2135-4AA9-92FB-C3B7119A6C82.jpeg

18 minutes ago, MarkFeld said:

It looks corroded.

I honestly just don’t see that being the case. The entire coin exhibits this uniform grainy texture and then the odd raised curvy line over LIBERTY I don’t see being caused or created by erosion. If it was a zinc I’d be inclined to go with that and would have never posted it. The rim has noticeable ridges (not reeding) as well in certain areas. I’ve seen thousands of eroded coins but this one just doesn’t seem to fit into that category with all due respect. It looks like a bad plating issue but we know that isn’t possible for this year. Thanks for the reply Mark. 

Edited by Greg Bradford

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Corrosion is a good possibility, but another is that the coin has been immersed in an ultrasonic generator (rock cleaner). I've known people who cleaned coins by that method, and one left in too long looks just like the subject coin.

28 minutes ago, DWLange said:

Corrosion is a good possibility, but another is that the coin has been immersed in an ultrasonic generator (rock cleaner). I've known people who cleaned coins by that method, and one left in too long looks just like the subject coin.

Ok... that’s the first that I’ve ever heard of but I can absolutely see how an ultrasonic machine could cause the weird distortion and finish to a bronze coin. That’s good knowledge. Thanks.