• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange Silver pattern Quarter

92 posts in this topic

So I’m not sure but I know Franklin wanted to equate barrels of wheat to currency. The eight dots on the tea mug I believe represent the original 8 revolting colonies. All American coins were required to have an eagle on the reverse. 

1781B941-58AA-4D33-A591-C5D84BBF0616.png

105F54FD-663C-42C5-9227-A947C4392786.png

Edited by Ratzie33

Something else: I think if you were going to make a bar token you’d want something easy to carry around in your pocket. This is 24.3mm in diameter.

Edited by Ratzie33

Usually drinks were 2 for 25cents, so again, the eight dots on the mug is unique. I do not believe this to be a bar token. Bar tokens express value clearly, like:  GOOD FOR “...” drinks. This has no such wording.

41 minutes ago, Ratzie33 said:

Usually drinks were 2 for 25cents, so again, the eight dots on the mug is unique. I do not believe this to be a bar token. Bar tokens express value clearly, like:  GOOD FOR “...” drinks. This has no such wording.

I think 25 cents expresses the value pretty clearly!  This is an interesting token, but I would say the mug and keg definitely point to it being  a bar token.  How much does it weigh?  Were you the buyer of this token on ebay?  

Edited by l.cutler

The reason why proprietors turned to tokens was because there were shortages in silver. Why make a token out of silver if not for a significant minted monetary reason? That is why I don’t believe it to be a bar token.

Then I thought 8 ounces of beer, or a colonial half pint but again, for 25c of silver you are not getting the right amount. But if we go back to the tea theory for a moment, the standard mug of tea held 8 ounces. 

Well obviously no one knows why the tokens maker chose to put 8 dots, could have been some ones favorite number.  What it obviously isn't is a pattern quarter, would they really put a mug and keg on a pattern coin?  Again, what is the weight?  How are you sure that it is silver?

The tea was smuggled in barrels to avoid suspicion over bags. Hence the eagle landing on the barrel. 8 dots for the 8 ounces of tea in a cup. A silver coin of this size would purchase an entire keg of beer so for it to be a bar token seems iffy.

So I can safely assume that the weight does not support your wild suppositions and you really don't know that it is silver, or maybe you don't even have it because all you have posted are ebay pictures.  Many many bar tokens have a dollar or cent value because different drinks cost different amounts.  This is clearly not a pattern with a bar theme and very crude design.  OK, unless you can actually state some facts or at least common sense arguments, I am done.

What makes it rare is its age and that the denomination is written on the coin clearly. If it predates the first quarters of 1796 or 1804, it is a piece of American history.

So I was looking at the period after the 25. It almost looks like a monogram... too elongated for a period. And why put a period there? EB

132CE15F-E504-434D-B1DB-AF820BE77100.png

Edited by Ratzie33