• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1923 Peace Dollar
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Working hard here to expand my horizons outside of Lincoln’s..... Just curious as to what the opinions are of this Peace Dollar and, more so, it’s condition. I took the best pictures I could but the blue toning on this coin is not that apparent in the photos. 
I’ve compared this coin to other TPG pics. Both the obverse and reverse of this coin appear to be fairly well struck compared to similar examples. Just wondering if this coin is even remotely worthy of being graded. As always, thank you for your time and your professional and polite input. 

D0F561D1-21CB-4E32-9EBD-99FB61028E68.jpeg

2DDB53EB-64C9-4C87-9EDD-6D9ECEA68466.jpeg

892B6F28-6328-472E-8E7F-02E4FF941B2B.jpeg

503F71CF-0FC0-4716-9A18-56CF5C33EF30.jpeg

10 hours ago, Just Bob said:

This is just my opinion, but I would not send a '23 in for grading unless I thought it would get a 66 or higher.

Again, just my opinion.

Thank you Just Bob. I will admit that I am a bit perplexed at the intricacies of grading larger coins such as this. The last thing I want to do is send one in and pay more than what it’s worth. Thanks for your advice. 

Interesting piece. From the pictures, I do not see obvious "wear" where I would expect to see it, but neither is it pristine. Lots of marks. The obverse is nicer than the reverse. Decent strike. Not much cartwheel lustre. It hangs out in the ambiguous 55-62 range, depending on who is in the grading room.

46 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Interesting piece. From the pictures, I do not see obvious "wear" where I would expect to see it, but neither is it pristine. Lots of marks. The obverse is nicer than the reverse. Decent strike. Not much cartwheel lustre. It hangs out in the ambiguous 55-62 range, depending on who is in the grading room.

Thanks VKurtB. It’s definitely much easier (for me at least) to look at a Cent or Dime and get a better feel what range it may fall into. There’s so much going on, and so much more detail, on these larger coins that has to be taken into consideration from what I’ve gathered. It appears there is a tad bit more leeway on their grades due to the expanded surface area as opposed to smaller denominations (referring to modern coins) if I’m correct in saying that. But I know they all still have to exhibit certain qualifying criteria and factors such as Luster, Strike, Preservation, etc....  Still learning here. Thanks for your input. 

Moving out of your comfort zone is not always easy but can help you to learn to grade better in all series so kudos there.  My impression is that this Peace is AU 53 to 55 max, the top of the bun shows a definite color change in the top photo that is a good sign of wear.  The eagle's feathers at the top of the wing also look blended as do the leg feathers, also the fields of both sides have that "lived-in" look(my own made up phraselol) and subdued luster that indicates the coin spent some time in circulation.  That is my assessment from these photos, with an in hand look or different photos I might have a different view.  I will say that I find the Peace Dollar a very tough series to judge from photos many times.

Greg -- Your photos suggest considerable handling and maybe a bath or two. As Just Bob noted a 1923 dollar would have to grade MS66 or better to justify authentication and "grading."  Here is a photo of NGC #1909175-007, MS-67. Compare the surfaces to your coin.

Image1.jpg

Edited by RWB

PS: The OPs coin appears to be an obverse from the slightly revised hub of 1923 (similar to the first 1922 hub with subtly better central detail).

39 minutes ago, RWB said:

As Just Bob noted a 1923 dollar would have to grade MS66 or better to justify authentication and "grading." 

Totally agree on that. I looked at the proposed values of this Dollar and definitely only in MS66 would it justify being graded. Thank you very much for the comparison photo as well. 

40 minutes ago, RWB said:

PS: The OPs coin appears to be an obverse from the slightly revised hub of 1923 (similar to the first 1922 hub with subtly better central detail).

I’ll have to look that one up..... I’ve noticed and read about ALL the different die varieties associated with this coin. Mind boggling to me......

6 minutes ago, Greg Bradford said:

I’ll have to look that one up..... I’ve noticed and read about ALL the different die varieties associated with this coin. Mind boggling to me......

Probably won't find anything. The differences are incredibly subtle - sometimes they escape me, too.

1 hour ago, RWB said:

Probably won't find anything. The differences are incredibly subtle - sometimes they escape me, too.

I’m definitely not that “advanced” yet and will leave that up to the experts. Thanks.