• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1982 small date Zinc Error?

8 posts in this topic

Is the reverse of this 1982 small date zinc an error at the bottom part of "STATES oF" and the "E". they look like light strikes to me and was hoping someone could help? it came out of one the the sets pictured below that I got as a kid in 82 at a flea market in Ohio. Thanks in advance

coin reverse.jpg

coin front.jpg

coin set.jpg

Welcome to the forum, that looks like the die had accumulated some grease on it which will often result in some part of the design or lettering being soft or missing.

1 minute ago, Coinbuf said:

Welcome to the forum, that looks like the die had accumulated some grease on it which will often result in some part of the design or lettering being soft or missing.

any value to that penny? or the sets? Thanks for the reply

4 minutes ago, ekennard76 said:

any value to that penny? or the sets? Thanks for the reply

No no numismatic premium for a coin with some missing detail due to a grease filled die, its very very common.  As to the set again no not unless one of the coins were to grade at the MS68 level or better and from your photos I do not see that as a possibility.

I have a different take on this coin. The weak area is opposite Lincoln's shoulder, one of the higher areas on the obverse. There is not enough  metal to fill both sides, so the letters in this area are often weakly struck. The obverse portrait relief was lowered in 1984 to help solve the problem, but I have seen this same issue on cents dated 1985.

Edited by Just Bob

13 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

I have a different take on this coin. The weak area is opposite Lincoln's shoulder, one of the higher areas on the obverse. There is not enough to metal to fill both sides, so the letters in this area are often weakly struck. The obverse portrait relief was lowered in 1984 to help solve the problem, but I have seen this same issue on cents dated 1985.

so what is your take on the "error" of this coin? Value and rarity?