• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Article "First Major Morgan Dollar Die Variety Discovered in 1891" in Coin World

12 posts in this topic

The first major die variety of the Morgan dollar series was identified in 1891. But it would be 129 years before that fact was discovered among newly digitized letters.

Read the story in the latest Coin World magazine.

Edited by RWB

The article concerns transfer of the letter " E " from obverse word "Liberty" to the reverse field to lower left of eagle's tail feathers.

On 11/8/2020 at 4:32 AM, physics-fan3.14 said:

Got a link? 

I can't find the article you're talking about. 

Sorry. I don't have a link ... well, I have some 18k gold cuff links, will they work?

On 11/7/2020 at 3:36 PM, RWB said:

The first major die variety of the Morgan dollar series was identified in 1891. But it would be 129 years before that fact was discovered among newly digitized letters.  Read the story in the latest Coin World magazine.

How about a brief summary ?  xD

Why did it take so long for the discovery...who made it in 1891....was it publicized ?......maybe nobody cared about die varieties other than mint marks back then....is this a VAM variety thing ?

13 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Does this mean that the 7, 8, and 7/8 tailfeathers varieties were not discovered until after 1891/ Or were they not considered "major?"

Tail feather differences are hub/design changes and part of production changes. These are not die varieties. They were noticed within weeks of 1878 dollar release.

I don't know when the 7/8 die varieties were first identified.

It would be unfair to Coin World to present a summary here. There is a new thread on VAMworld and an older one with more information which members can view. (One could always subscribe to CW, too.....)

Here's a link to the VAMworld thread: http://www.vamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3468

Edited by RWB

Just Bob - You will also find additional information about the 8 and 7-TF hubs and the 7/8 dies in my book "Girl on the Silver Dollar." These are discussed in the chapter dealing with development of the dollar design.

5 hours ago, RWB said:

Just Bob - You will also find additional information about the 8 and 7-TF hubs and the 7/8 dies in my book "Girl on the Silver Dollar." These are discussed in the chapter dealing with development of the dollar design.

That is one of the books on my Christmas wish list. :)

4 hours ago, Just Bob said:

That is one of the books on my Christmas wish list. :)

That's nice!

Here is a link to a post on VAMworld about the earliest external mention, so far, of 7 and 8 TF 1878 Morgans, although this refers to wing placement.

http://www.vamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4524