• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1976 d quarter high grade

13 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, Modwriter said:

Looks like 14k gold plated? My watchmaker has a whole set of these. I have yet to see any that have been graded yet.

You won't, they're "damaged".

I often take coin color in photos with a truckload of salt. This background is blue, which can create a yellow color if the camera is on auto white balance. Similarly there is a thread where someone has photographed a coin on a green background. Yup, a magenta coin. No mystery. You have to "pick your poison". Auto white balance will "fix" your light source, but backgrounds will screw you up. Go with a fixed white balance to avoid that and your lamps can screw with your photos. This taking pictures of coins business is very easy to screw up. It requires more attention and precision than most will apply to it. We used to have a medium that ignored all background colors. They were called "color slides". Can you say "color slides"? Nice try. Of course, then you had to match your "color slide film" with your light source. Again, attention and precision, not terribly modern American traits, alas.

Edited by VKurtB

Does not Washington’s profile, and the drummer boy’s face, and the reverse flame all point to this coin not being ANY SORT of MS coin? It is clearly an AU on its best day.

The second 1976 quarter does not match up to either of the two known DDO's for this date/mm,  From the photo I only see MD and it does not appear to be a true double die coin, however on my monitor the photo has a lot of glare and an in hand exam might show otherwise.

1 hour ago, Brad adams said:

Cause I think it high grade ms coin uncirulated  for that year it's a very well struck coin......I have some that have the ddo variety but that one doesn't... 

I'm sorry but your photos of the first coin show areas of rub and I would grade that coin as AU.  Both coins are worth $.25 is my opinion.

This second one (not yellow) is a perfectly nice “album coin” for a quarter collection in a nice higher quality album. That’s about it. 

On 10/14/2020 at 1:42 PM, VKurtB said:

I often take coin color in photos with a truckload of salt. This background is blue, which can create a yellow color if the camera is on auto white balance. Similarly there is a thread where someone has photographed a coin on a green background. Yup, a magenta coin. No mystery. You have to "pick your poison". Auto white balance will "fix" your light source, but backgrounds will screw you up. Go with a fixed white balance to avoid that and your lamps can screw with your photos. This taking pictures of coins business is very easy to screw up. It requires more attention and precision than most will apply to it. We used to have a medium that ignored all background colors. They were called "color slides". Can you say "color slides"? Nice try. Of course, then you had to match your "color slide film" with your light source. Again, attention and precision, not terribly modern American traits, alas.

I was a litho cameraman for many years. You know your photography.

I found a bicentennial quarter in my change today. Weird. The reverse is MS but the obverse is a little worn. I'm going to give it to a classmate that is going to the HOOTENANNY. 

Edited by Modwriter
Typo